• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Olympics

PARAGUAY

There are some heartwarming stories of the competitors in the Olympics how they put the training effort in . How parents family friends helped them .How they had to work to get there the part we dont see 6am training starts finanncial burdens and snapshots of their family back home. Contrast that with the Euros players on eye watering weekly wages players suffering thuggish fouls think (career threatning) Grealish and de Bryne. I supported England wholeheartedly but when you read of players ironing out contracts of £450000 aweek yet to agree! and contrast familys sacrificing holidays and time just to get a competitor to the Olympics

Yeah athletes very different contrast to football players, but you have to keep in mind that most young footballers are in a similar situation where their families have to put in the work also for them until they "make it" to the pro leagues. Not every footballer gets those kinds of wages, you have to be in the top 5-6 clubs of the Europe's top 3-4 leagues!

But when you think the Rugby Seven's had to raise money themselves to even make it to the Olympics, I think it's a disgrace to the sport governing body and this country to not step in, when money is being spent on more useless stuff!!

But so far they doing the country proud, was just a shame on the rowing this time around has been very poor, a sport that had been dominated for quite a long time and no gold this time around :(

Apparently the rowing squad had £27m of funding for this Olympic cycle and since they base alot of the money on performance they might see that go down quite a bit.
On the flip side the two british bmx riders took a gold and a silver in their events and had to crowd fund to get out there.

It's a juxtaposition that in society we are told that it's the taking part that matters not winning but the truth is funding is based on potential medals. I miss the likes of Eddie the Eagle or Eric the eel who really showed the Olympic spirit before the killjoys changed the rules.

Think l was slightly going off topic @ London Dragon the comparison with top level football it was just to highlight the effort they made to get to the Olympics never mind the medal. My brother had a mate a amateur boxer who was good and hoped be chosen for the Olympics years back. My brother joined the club just to keep fit. Part of the training was a 7 mile run every morning before work. The lad didnt make the squad despite that. Your right about top level football compared with lower league and grassroots. I was sure one the Manchester giants could have saved Bury FC the amount of young talent they poached over the years

Back