• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Older tank - Is it safe?"

Fred13

Hello everybody,
I have my tank stored in my basement for about two years.
It is clean , just with some hardscape inside ( I was preparing something and I left it.
It is a custom made tank that was in use for about 1 year, so it is 3 years old since built.
My question is if it's safe for future usage or problems may come up with silicon ?
I want to return to hobby and I hope pretty soon :)
Thank you

Give it a once over and check for any damage to the silicone or glass, but 3yrs is nothing for a tank, most are good for 10+ years.

Give it a once over and check for any damage to the silicone or glass, but 3yrs is nothing for a tank, most are good for 10+ years.
Thank you so much for the immediate reply!
I heard that a tank without water may have silicon drying issues but it was weird since many of the tanks we buy from stores have manufactured long time ago..
I will for sure check it though when I am ready to start aquascaping again:)

If the tank was in your basement then that was probably the best place for it, it’s usually cooler (and damp if no humidifier!) down there. Fill it up and check for any leaks, as long as you don’t see any separation from the silicon or air bubbles on the seams your good to go 👍🏻

I had my current tank on a shelf for 3 years, and its fine, in use again now :) I've had my bigger tank empty for over a year, was also fine. If you feel unsure about it, fill it up in a safe spot and leave it for a few days, if no leaks move it to where you want it :)

Thank you so much for the immediate reply!
I heard that a tank without water may have silicon drying issues but it was weird since many of the tanks we buy from stores have manufactured long time ago..
I will for sure check it though when I am ready to start aquascaping again:)
I had my current tank on a shelf for 3 years, and its fine, in use again now :) I've had my bigger tank empty for over a year, was also fine. If you feel unsure about it, fill it up in a safe spot and leave it for a few days, if no leaks move it to where you want it :)
Thank you guys !
I guess a crash test is the best I can do!
Btw this tank had dozens of micro bubbles in seams from day one. Bubbles that lasted for 1-2 weeks and then disappeared. They told me that this was because I initially filled it up with cold water so the seams expanded and then contracted. Weird though :>

I'd expect it to be fine, no freeze thaw swings like a shed or loft and no uv
Yeah , the temperatures in this room are great. Not so warm during summer and not so cold during winter. Thats why I decided to stow it there.

Back