• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

old set up

foxfish

Hi guys, I am running the same tank, filter, substrate & even some of the plants for over 7 years.
I have changed the scape a few times & even moved the tank from one side of the room to another but the basic set up is still going strong!
However after reading through a few of your post & seeing some of your tanks, I am considering a fresh look.
My tank seems pretty stable with very little algae problems, I was wondering if I really would benefit from a completely new substrate or should I just remove the plants & perhaps keep my system running while replanting?
The tanks runs a sump so I can keep the filter running as a separate unit anyway.

p1000704.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I vote stick with the current scape, but slowly move it towards the new look you are going for.

I really like the lived in feel of a tank. Yours looks great and as you said is stable. Some of the elements you've got in there are really natural, but some of the plants could do with a cut back.

I rekon it would be a real shame to scrap a 7 year old scape, but there's no reason not to change it a bit.

I hope mine makes it to 7 years.

Good luck

R

Very impressive!

My oldest 'scape is 2 years-old and I consider that really old!

There's no reason to change your old substrate. Things are obviously working nicely for you with the current set-up, so I'd leave it.

If/when you re-scape then do some large water changes, as disturbing substrate by uprooting plants etc. can release algae causing ammonia/ammonium into the water column.

Would you mind sharing some tank specs, please i.e. lighting, dosing, filtration etc?

Crikey George, I am no expert & my tank has a few quirky aspects that might not be the norm but I dont minds sharing them!
The tank is approx 150ltr with a further 50ltr in the sump.
I have a couple of old shots of the original filter set up but I have been injecting the Co2 straight into the pump inlet for the last few years.
I can look for a few more pics tomorrow as i dont have many saved on my PC.

sump.jpg

sump2.jpg

Well I found a pic of the tank before it was filled up with water, I didn't use the stone scape for long but the pic does show the light. (250w metal halide)
The substrate it a mix of silver sand, pond aquasoil & laterite. I have added variouse tablets to the mix over the years but not for some time now.
I do dose quite regularly with a dry mix & water change every week about 50lt.
I have a spray bar located right on the bottom & at the back of the tank that supplies the return direct from the sump pump. I have modified the pumps impeller with a few holes to help chop up the C02, this seem to work very well!
The tank was a real handful at first, with never ending algae, but after a year or so it settled down & at the moment is completely trouble free.
I have changed the light bulb once & that did cause a bit of trouble so I turned down the lighting period from 10 to 6 hours & that is how it is now.
I have some LED sunrise - sunset lighting too.
p103005928129.jpg

Well the old tank is still growing but, I have now replaced the metal halide with two T5s & installed an in line diffuser.

Two weeks on & after a heavy cut back of the plants today, it looks like I have got away with the change over without any algae issues at all!!!
tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank4.jpg

tank3.jpg

I really like the tank too, I don't think you should change it drastically but if you want to change it do it gradually.

Back