• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Odd and unusual fish you find in your local fish store

They certainly do, I love a half beak and don’t see them that often round my way.

Another entry from me, as I was on a hunt for pond plants I visisted Amwell aquatics, I’d say they’re not quite worth going out of your way for but they did have some nice looking fish, especially this guy.

View attachment 168885
Pao baileyi, 149.99£. The first time I’ve seen one of these.

Edit, better photo:

View attachment 168908
I love my Hairy Puffers they have brilliant characters.

Attachments

• 3A7D1276-510C-4A02-B42D-F4E1E13BDB51.jpeg
    3A7D1276-510C-4A02-B42D-F4E1E13BDB51.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 154
  • A4215CA0-E4D9-4CCE-B708-39072068DD88.jpeg
    A4215CA0-E4D9-4CCE-B708-39072068DD88.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
From what I researched, they're fairly tolerant of one another in a big enough tank. They're on my list to get.

16406654_1239736079447204_5477347404503846671_n.jpeg

Got two more contenders, really nearly bought them.

homaloptera orthogoniata, what a very pretty fish this is.

BF86542D-F85F-4298-99E3-BCB67E918CF6.jpeg

And barbucca diabolica, again nearly bought them.
BBEB8E47-2F65-4B32-8725-DDAA3EA612A6.jpeg

This was from riverside aquaria Livingston. A really nice selection of unusual fish, lots of ”rare” corydora, mostly soft water South America/Asia fish.

Got two more contenders, really nearly bought them.

homaloptera orthogoniata, what a very pretty fish this is.

View attachment 193942

And barbucca diabolica, again nearly bought them.
View attachment 193943

This was from riverside aquaria Livingston. A really nice selection of unusual fish, lots of ”rare” corydora, mostly soft water South America/Asia fish.
Those Barbucca don't look in very good condition at all,probably a good thing you didn't buy any 😔

I bought a couple of rough looking, one with an open wound, female Dario “Myanmar” from another store that day. Else I’d have probably gone for them.

I can’t help but want to give some runts a chance 😅

I bought a couple of rough looking, one with an open wound, female Dario “Myanmar” from another store that day. Else I’d have probably gone for them.

I can’t help but want to give some runts a chance 😅
I'm all for giving fish a chance but those are almost at the point of no return poor things.
Probably got a hefty burden of spironucleus and worms.
Surprised they've got them on sale in that condition to be honest.

They certainly do, I love a half beak and don’t see them that often round my way.

Another entry from me, as I was on a hunt for pond plants I visisted Amwell aquatics, I’d say they’re not quite worth going out of your way for but they did have some nice looking fish, especially this guy.

View attachment 168885
Pao baileyi, 149.99£. The first time I’ve seen one of these.

Edit, better photo:

View attachment 168908
I used to have one of these, common name is the hairy puffer.
Brilliant little fish but can be pretty aggressive so best as a species only
(Mine was about £30 15 years ago lol)

Last edited:
@MichaelJ I don't think the catchment area of these fish get visited very often, hence they seldom seem to appear in the shops over in the UK, which is a shame because they're incredibly active and make a refreshing change to the standard otocinclus sp.

@MichaelJ I don't think the catchment area of these fish get visited very often, hence they seldom seem to appear in the shops over in the UK,
Yes, that make sense.

which is a shame because they're incredibly active and make a refreshing change to the standard otocinclus sp.
Yeah, I wish I could get some from my favorite online reseller. They recently had these but I didn't act fast enough.

Cheers,
Michael

don't think the catchment area of these fish get visited very often, hence they seldom seem to appear in the shops over in the UK,
I think H&K discus in Brazil are breeding these now, I don’t believe the fish coming into the trade are wild caught. They seem to be breeding a lot of unheard Brazilian species from difficult to reach places. I think pier also got in some other new plecs that haven’t been seen in the trade before with these.

Cheers

I think pier also got in some other new plecs that haven’t been seen in the trade before
Pseudancistrus genisetiger also came in with this shipment, which I was tempted by but didn't end up getting.
You could be on the money with hk breeding them as they weren't advertised as wild caught.

I suppose if someone has managed to breed these in high numbers it should bode well on a conservation level and benefit the aquatic community to boot.

suppose if someone has managed to breed these in high numbers it should bode well on a conservation level and benefit the aquatic community to boot.
Definitely, looks like they were breeding a ‘new’ hypostomus too as pier had them at a very small size. I was tempted for the big tank but they end up a large messy fish.

Those psuedancistrus looked very nice, fingers crossed they get bred too.

Back