• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

Is a lot of the air issues due to maxed media baskets causing it to stuck air from else where - I had 2 issues one a leak that was fixed by a new inlet/outlet piece dry seals, it was slso spitting air ever so often and I really limited the amount of bio media in each tray and used the course sponge, and it seems OK (was Matrix), may or may not be a thing,

I have the oase biomaster 850 from some time. What I see for now and I'm not happy about it :)
The prefilter sponges make the biggest problem. I tried 20, 30, 45 ppi. With finer sponges the filter is louder with 20 ppi, he is ok but after 4-5 days he starts to get loader. No lose at flow, but after he starts to get louder, he starts to make and air bubbles. For me, most of the problem is about pre filter. Soon will try 10 ppi and aftrr without, if this will fix the problems.

I change orange filter spong on top, for Seachem Purigen. Nothing has changed. Still bubles.
I continue to contact the factory. But they have such stupid answers for this issue... I can understand from their answers, that, they don't know themselves too, the reason of this "air bubless" issue. ((Answers like - "your internet not worikng? Try to restart your router and pc!!!"))
Patience is running out, I am already starting planning a return of this filter in shop.

Also I remember and will clarify for another people, that this bubbles and loud noise - not just single issue. This bubbles gona breake your roter and pump. Becouse, than you see bubles - it's mean, that pump works at this moment "on dry", without water. It wears out all parts very much.
I myself, just ignored this issue like a year, and after this - the pump began to wedge and seize. The filter stopped and no longer pumped water, until restart. The sounds were already unusual, it's starts make cracking noises. VERY loud. And the vibration was so strong in the cabinet, that water in my 205 liters aquerium - starts vibrate too. One fish jumped out altogether, becouse this vibration started at deep night, and it's very scared of the fish and me too. Waking up late at night is not very pleasant....

He is going for sell, can't fix him :)
Now I try eheim 3e 700, he is ok, but he not like my AM co2 reactor and not allow me to increase the flow to max. I wish to not sold my old eheim pro4+ 600.

So I recently bought the Thermo 850, and shared this on my 'setup thread', but decided it was relevant to here (I only found this thread earlier today.. What a read!)....

I like the design, size and idea of this filter, and not having to have the heater in the tank is great, however, I am getting air trapped, which is hitting the impeller, and coming out the outlet... At first I thought it was just that it was new, and things needed to settle, and the air will work its way out the system, then it seemed to get a bit better, but still did it every 5 to 10 mins, just a little burst of air. After doing the water change yesterday, it seemed to be doing it far more, and with a greater length of time per burst too... I hadn't touched the filter during the water change, so was nothing directly to do with that. This morning after some rather lengthy ones, I decided to look into the inlet pipe to see if I could see any air coming in that way? Nothing! Switched everything off including the heater, and noted that some air popped up into the outlet pipe. I first tried the pre starter a few times to see if that would maybe shift any trapped air, and a little more came out, but not much. So I started the filter again, and suddenly had loads of air bubbles being blasted up the outlet pipe. After half a minute it did settle down. I also leaned the filter to one side and every time I do, I get another stream of bubble going up the outlet. Again, at first I thought this was just some trapped air, as it settled down far better for a while afterwards, and while it is now much much better, I am still getting the odd small burst happening.

So when its all running fine, it seems great, and I can only hear a low hum when sat next to the tank (not much more than the Eheims I used to have), but this air purge is bothering me, especially as I am concerned it may result in the heater overheating?!

To me, it seems that either it is managing to draw air in through the main seal (though no water can be felt anywhere around the outside of the canister at all), or it has something to do with the primer. I'd actually like a pre filter for it that didn't include the 'starter' valve?

Cheers
G!

After almost a whole year, I didn't find a solution of this problem.
The filter has been returned to the store. I won't take anything else from Oase.
I plan to take Eheim/jbl instead.

So, after I cleared out my Thermo 850 the other day, I decided to reduce the flow in the tank a little, and reduced the flow rating on both the inlet and outlet pipes at the elbow over the tank.... After it had been running for a while, I was noticing that it seemed to almost be surging, like it was bouncing around an airbubble in a pulsing manor. Every now and then I got the typical purge of air too, but this pulsing was new... After tilting and clearing whatever trapped air I could, I still noticed it to the point it became really annoying...

Being quite a techinical guy, and an over thinker, I figured I'd try a few things... First thing I tried was to open the inlet valve fully, and leave the outlet valve at the reduced setting I had now used... After a couple of hours leaving it like that, the pulsing had stopped, and other than a very very tiny amount of air bubbles escaping once an hour kinda time, I have had no further issues. This is now after 24 hours, and still seems to be ok. So if you are having this air purge issue, maybe try turning the outlet valve down a little. This obviusly won't help those with the lack of flow, but it seems to have helped the purging.

Regards
G!

Hi
today cleaning the pré filter of the oase 600T, I have two of them. I saw one of them dont have the bottom cap and the red rubber.
All of yours have it?
The part with the green arrow
IMG_20210707_155631.jpg

tks

Hi
today cleaning the pré filter of the oase 600T, I have two of them. I saw one of them dont have the bottom cap and the red rubber.
All of yours have it?
The part with the green arrow
View attachment 171611

tks

Mine have them - do you have a picture of the one that doesn’t? If it doesn’t have the red rubber flap, all the water will come out of the prefilter when you lift it out?

resolved. the seller send me the part :)
So I recently bought the Thermo 850, and shared this on my 'setup thread', but decided it was relevant to here (I only found this thread earlier today.. What a read!)....

I like the design, size and idea of this filter, and not having to have the heater in the tank is great, however, I am getting air trapped, which is hitting the impeller, and coming out the outlet... At first I thought it was just that it was new, and things needed to settle, and the air will work its way out the system, then it seemed to get a bit better, but still did it every 5 to 10 mins, just a little burst of air. After doing the water change yesterday, it seemed to be doing it far more, and with a greater length of time per burst too... I hadn't touched the filter during the water change, so was nothing directly to do with that. This morning after some rather lengthy ones, I decided to look into the inlet pipe to see if I could see any air coming in that way? Nothing! Switched everything off including the heater, and noted that some air popped up into the outlet pipe. I first tried the pre starter a few times to see if that would maybe shift any trapped air, and a little more came out, but not much. So I started the filter again, and suddenly had loads of air bubbles being blasted up the outlet pipe. After half a minute it did settle down. I also leaned the filter to one side and every time I do, I get another stream of bubble going up the outlet. Again, at first I thought this was just some trapped air, as it settled down far better for a while afterwards, and while it is now much much better, I am still getting the odd small burst happening.

So when its all running fine, it seems great, and I can only hear a low hum when sat next to the tank (not much more than the Eheims I used to have), but this air purge is bothering me, especially as I am concerned it may result in the heater overheating?!

To me, it seems that either it is managing to draw air in through the main seal (though no water can be felt anywhere around the outside of the canister at all), or it has something to do with the primer. I'd actually like a pre filter for it that didn't include the 'starter' valve?

Cheers
G!
Hi All,
Can I launch a new theory regarding the "air" bubbles coming out of the Oase thermofilter? How about this: that gas bubbles are from the water releasing the dissolved gas, CO2 and O2, following a drop in pressure? The pump is the last thing touching the water. Therefore it is creating suction ahead of it and if we have narrow gaps on the way, that will encourage gas to separate from the water.
That gas will collect on the top under the head of the filter and will be purged when will accumulate in a big bubble.
For me the narrowest point for the water is where the heater comes out of the head, the fins with the collar holding the heater.
Did anyone not having the heater fitted had the problem with the bubbles coming out?
Please let me know your option.
Best regards DG

Hi, I had the opportunity to try an Oase biomaster 600…and I returned it; the loud humming and bassy noise coming from the filter head was getting me crazy, veryyy disappointed.
The flow wasn’t as good as expected but this is due to the prefilter conception, so I’m ok with that but man the noise…
It’s an shame because other than that and the ridiculous ‘media’ that comes with, I really like the quality of these plastic, the carry handle and of course the prefilter.
Back to Aquael and Eheim…

This is quite an old post.
I have an 850 Thermo. It is only noisey sometimes and after a strip down. I think it could be due to either air trapped in the head that isn't purged even after tilting or,
vibration internally caused by ill fitting basket(s).
It's strange that my filter will be quite. I strip it down to clean. It's then noisey. Strip again quiet?
Still not sure what is causing it to be noisey?

Hello
I am Ahmed from the Middle East
Found this topic on the web
I have a big problem for me:angelic:
I bought from Finland
OASE BioMaster Thermo 600
And it arrived via shipping to my country
The problem is in the electricity
in Europe
V,230 50 Hz
and in my country
220V 60HZ
Is there a way to make it work properly?
Example of a reduction from 60 to 50 HZ
The V is no problem, as far as I know, between 230 and 220
I hope to find a solution here

You would to find a 60Hz to 50Hz converter unit, they do exist, maybe not too expensive as not much power is required.

You could just try running it on 60Hz, it will just run faster, hopefully shouldn't be too much of an an issue.

Or get a 60Hz 110V US model and a low cost 230V to 110V transformer.

Hi All,
Can I launch a new theory regarding the "air" bubbles coming out of the Oase thermofilter? How about this: that gas bubbles are from the water releasing the dissolved gas, CO2 and O2, following a drop in pressure? The pump is the last thing touching the water. Therefore it is creating suction ahead of it and if we have narrow gaps on the way, that will encourage gas to separate from the water.
That gas will collect on the top under the head of the filter and will be purged when will accumulate in a big bubble.
For me the narrowest point for the water is where the heater comes out of the head, the fins with the collar holding the heater.
Did anyone not having the heater fitted had the problem with the bubbles coming out?
Please let me know your option.
Best regards DG
In my case I’m certain the air purging issue was caused by an ill-fitting 850 head. When I replaced that head with a 600, in an attempt to reduce noise levels, the new head required noticeably more effort to close the clamps, resulting in a tighter fit and no air purging. Sadly the noise levels remained unacceptably high.

Back