• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

but is it possible that after only 2 weeks it has become so dirty, that the performance is affected
Yes it is. I suggest cleaning the pre-filters weekly. It will maintain flow and mean that you do not need to open the canister much at all. I only open the canister every couple of months and I'm always surprised at how clean it is.

Hi all,
should i clean the pre-filter every week?
I would.

I don't have a filter with an inbuilt pre-filter, but I use <"really chunky sponge blocks"> on all the filter intakes, and I've found the same as @hypnogogia, it dramatically limits how often you need to open the filter body.

I don't like any mechanical filtration (<"fine sponge or floss etc">) in the filter body, I want an easy clean pre-filter to trap it before it enter the filter.

cheers Darrel

one more question. i am using tropica soil, and the tank is pretty heavily planted. i was wondering what the best way would be to clean the substrate without disturbing the plants? i am worried that a gravel cleaner would just remove the plants from the soil....

one more question. i am using tropica soil, and the tank is pretty heavily planted. i was wondering what the best way would be to clean the substrate without disturbing the plants? i am worried that a gravel cleaner would just remove the plants from the soil....

I use a turkey baster, with some airline tube attached down the shaft to the tip. Start a syphon going on the tube into a container, and gently squeeze the turkey baster bulb to agitate the Tropica soil. The airline tube will syphon off the debris and you can point it exactly where you want it.

Last edited:
I use a turkey baster, with some airline tube attached down the shaft to the tip. Start a syphon going on the tube into a container, and gently squeeze the turkey baster bulb to agitate the Tropica soil. The airline tube will syphon off the debris and you can point it exactly where you want it.

hahhh, i like that, will give it a go. thanks dcurzon!

Hi Guys
I’ve just bought an Oase thermo 850 filter and the first thing I realised when I turned it on was a very annoying humming noise. I have checked the piping and isolation and all seem to be ok.
the only thing I did different was replacing those plastic media that comes with it. I replaced them with ADA rio I had.
Has anybody else noticed the same noise ??
Hi. Me too. I'm getting a replacement pump head delivered tomorrow. Buzzing sounds like a transformer.

Hi. Me too. I'm getting a replacement pump head delivered tomorrow. Buzzing sounds like a transformer.
I had to replace mine with a 600. Much quieter but even the 600 is a bit noisy. I had to put it on a cushion and isolate all the piping with a sort of a foam

I can’t answer your question I’m afraid, but this the first time I’ve read of an ‘850’ model - is this a new model?

The humming could be from a new pump design if this is a new model. Alternatively have you tried tipping the unit forward slightly to see if any trapped air needs purging?

As an aside I wonder if this new ‘850’ headtop, will fit on the 600 chassis as an upgrade?
Yes the 850 is a new model. Just a big taller but same head size. The heater is 400w and they say the pump is a bit stronger than the 600 but I couldn’t live with the noise. It’s so irritating and I have my tank in the living room

I'm unsure whether the bio rio would be too obstructive to flow or not in, if you are concerned this maybe a cause then remove it from the filter, store it in some tank water for a while and run it again to see if you have the same problem.
As with all new pumps or filters, try letting it settle in for a week or so and see if this helps. ;)
Thanks for your reply. I actually did all that even tried to run it with no media at all. Left it running for 10 days to see if it would get any better but...Nothing worked. I eventually replaced my with a 600 one and it’s much better now.

Thanks for your reply. I actually did all that even tried to run it with no media at all. Left it running for 10 days to see if it would get any better but...Nothing worked. I eventually replaced my with a 600 one and it’s much better now.
My replacement 850 pump head is a little better. Its still buzzing though. Like a transformer. I tried everything on the old pump head to reduce the sound but nothing worked.
Tank is in the lounge. I could hear the old pump head from the kitchen! Yes. It was that bad.

I had a thought. Might be a stupid one. 🤔

In Audio and Vision they go to great lengths to control "buzzing" from AV aquipment. You can clean up the AC current via Ups (uninterruptible power supply)

A question to those very clever people on ukaps.
Could it be EMI on the 850 ?
Quote from Tech Hive

Electromagnetic interference (EMI) occurs when unwanted electric currents interrupt the intended currents an electronic device is supposed to receive. These disruptive currents — often called "noise" or "electromagnetic noise" — can come from an external source or get created by other components inside the device.

If so. Could I "clean" the electricity via a better extention lead. I have a cheap 5 way. The Co2 solenoid , oase 850 pump, heater and chichros doctor are plugged in the one extension lead.

Light and dosing pump on a different extension lead.

I do like the filter, but my old eheim 350t was silent.
Regards.

My replacement 850 pump head is a little better. Its still buzzing though. Like a transformer. I tried everything on the old pump head to reduce the sound but nothing worked.
Tank is in the lounge. I could hear the old pump head from the kitchen! Yes. It was that bad.

I had a thought. Might be a stupid one. 🤔

In Audio and Vision they go to great lengths to control "buzzing" from AV aquipment. You can clean up the AC current via Ups (uninterruptible power supply)

A question to those very clever people on ukaps.
Could it be EMI on the 850 ?
Quote from Tech Hive

Electromagnetic interference (EMI) occurs when unwanted electric currents interrupt the intended currents an electronic device is supposed to receive. These disruptive currents — often called "noise" or "electromagnetic noise" — can come from an external source or get created by other components inside the device.

If so. Could I "clean" the electricity via a better extention lead. I have a cheap 5 way. The Co2 solenoid , oase 850 pump, heater and chichros doctor are plugged in the one extension lead.

Light and dosing pump on a different extension lead.

I do like the filter, but my old eheim 350t was silent.
Regards.

The buzzing/humming is unlikely to be EMI, and more likely simple mechanical noise due to the pumps moving parts (impeller etc) and the resulting vibrations.

If you want to try and eliminate the noise, then your efforts would be better directed towards trying to damp those vibrations in the unit internally, or isolating the vibrations from the pump to prevent them being transmitted to the pump housing/chassis.

I've never opened one of these pump heads up to see what is inside and inspect the pump assembly itself, however I imagine that some noise reduction might be possible with some well placed damping (e.g. self adhesive bitumen sheeting) or some pieces of Sorbothane or Silicone block wedged between the pump and chassis.

Edit: If your unit is inside an aquarium cabinet you could also reduce the noise released from it with some simple acoustic seals to the doors and a foam panel to cover any large opening at the rear.

I wouldn't say it's loud, it certainly isn't silent, but with any background noise it shouldn't be a problem. Also most aquarium things sound quieter after a couple of months as we become less paranoid and worry less 🤣

Best ways to help with the noise is:
1) lubricate everything every time you clean it.
2) fold up a really thick towel into a sqaure and pop the filter on top.
3) clean glassware and pipework properly and often, this helps with less water sounds and less trapped air (if you have surface skimmer)
4) fold up a glass cleaning cloth into a square and wedge it under the pipes resting on the circular cutout. (this helps a lot)
IMG_20201103_155131.jpg

The longest thread on the Biomaster I have found so far!
So...we are getting a 420 litre tank for Discus. Will the 850 be sufficient or will we need two?

Hey so found this thread via google. I've got the BioMaster Thermo 350, and within a couple of hours the filter seems to fill with air and if I tip it it will purge lots of air to the outlet, I've wrapped teflon tape around all my threads and everything is on tight, where is it getting all this air from? Also, when running, and I push the primer button down, should I just leave it where it ends up or should I pull it back up to the top?

My next idea is to take it apart and wrap teflon tape around the main cans oring, and around the orings on the heater+primer+in/out sections, did anyone figure this out?

Hey so found this thread via google. I've got the BioMaster Thermo 350, and within a couple of hours the filter seems to fill with air and if I tip it it will purge lots of air to the outlet, I've wrapped teflon tape around all my threads and everything is on tight, where is it getting all this air from? Also, when running, and I push the primer button down, should I just leave it where it ends up or should I pull it back up to the top?

My next idea is to take it apart and wrap teflon tape around the main cans oring, and around the orings on the heater+primer+in/out sections, did anyone figure this out?
The only way i have found is take out the o-rings and lube them up, and when you put them back don't push them in to the recess as far as they will go, but push them enough so it's still in if that makes sense.

Also have you considered that it may be more co2 build up (if you use co2) rather than air?

I only have this filter and the Oase UV sterilizer (the air from the filter is especially annoying with that because I constantly have to tip the UV sterilizer to get the air out of THAT).

I just recorded a video showing it:

I just did this about half an hour ago and it's already got loads of air in it.

Back