• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

Andy, I’ve given up on the OASE. I thought the solution was the inlet/outlet but it restarted soon after the swap to another brand. The real worry is that OASE don’t know what the issue is and have thrown the towel in and agreed a refund 23 months after its purchase. This will be taken back to the LFS after Christmas. It’s a shame because principally its a good filter just isn’t the case in practice.
I suspect they should’ve just replaced this filter with another ... sometimes one specific filter is just not a success and going after the problem part by part is something to do in-house - not at client premises

I am still getting air in periodically but it's not too bad (liveable). My mine gripe is the flow is dire and I don't know what is causing it. I cleaned all the filter gear and am running on the bare minimum of media and most the tank is still devoid of decent flow.

I am running no pre filter foams, just 1 blue sponge and 2 trays of bio media (only half full)

Thinking of replacing it with a JBL E1902 soon as it has 1900L/h rated (obviously not real world) compared to 1250L/h and is basically the only big/powerful filter I can find that will fit the cabinet (I have about 1.5cm width to spare with the biomaster in there now). It's annoying to have to go back to having a heater in the tank, but I would rather than and have good flow than not. Have already put in a heater and turned the oase one off to see if I can find a spot to hide it with plants :)

The only prob with the 1902 is the pipes are 19/25 not 16/22 so it is a problem using Lilly pipes etc if you have them:(.
The 1502 flows 1400 ltrs/hour and uses 16/22 pipework.

The only prob with the 1902 is the pipes are 19/25 not 16/22 so it is a problem using Lilly pipes etc if you have them:(.
The 1502 flows 1400 ltrs/hour and uses 16/22 pipework.

Yeah I had read they use larger pipes, presumably that's partly enabling the higher flow rate as it can push more water through the pipes? I don't use anything inline or any particular inlets / outlets on my tank myself so it isn't really a consideration, but I guess it would make it awkward for anyone who does (have to bear in mind for inline diffusers too).

Wouldn't think it would be long before the other manufacturers bring a similar design out.

Wouldn't think it would be long before the other manufacturers bring a similar design out.
I assume you mean similar to the Oase?
The Fluval G series is similar in design that it has a pre-filter which is easy to remove, clean etc along it also has a chemical cartridge for carbon or Purigen which is easy to remove.
If Fluval were to add a heater and sort the few little problems out with the G series of filters and it would be brilliant and easily justify the money but they refuse to admit there are problems.

JBL do a inline diffuser in 19/25 size too. Yes the pipe diameter is for the increased flow. So the diffuser isn't a problem. Just leaves the heater lilly pipes that is:crazy:. Same can be said for the fluval fx filters too I suppose. Great filter, but no built in heater and awkward pipe sizes.
Seems that whatever filter you look at there is one problem or another to overcome:):thumbdown:.

Aquael Ultramax 2000 uses 16/22 pipes and has an output of 2000lph. Only 24w power consumption too.

Seriously considering two for me Rio 450.

Aquael Ultramax 2000 uses 16/22 pipes and has an output of 2000lph. Only 24w power consumption too.

Seriously considering two for me Rio 450.

I have considered this filter myself as it looks like a good new filter design, but unfortunately it's just a few cm too wide for my cabinet :( The only ones I can fit in mine are the biomaster, eheim and jbl. My tank is an old aqualantis one and the cabinet is similar to the pic below. It's smaller than the actual tank itself and because it's sectioned it really limits what you can do with it. I have the filter in the left and co2, dosing pump and all the electrical gear in the right. It's still a good looking tank (got it in dark brown wood effect), but it's really limiting which is why I ended up with the biomaster in the first place.

One thing I do like about the design of the jbl is that it has a couple of casters on the bottom, so that should make it much easier to pull out of the small space I have!

10_Ambience_Aquarium.jpg

I have considered this filter myself as it looks like a good new filter design, but unfortunately it's just a few cm too wide for my cabinet :( The only ones I can fit in mine are the biomaster, eheim and jbl. My tank is an old aqualantis one and the cabinet is similar to the pic below. It's smaller than the actual tank itself and because it's sectioned it really limits what you can do with it. I have the filter in the left and co2, dosing pump and all the electrical gear in the right. It's still a good looking tank (got it in dark brown wood effect), but it's really limiting which is why I ended up with the biomaster in the first place.

One thing I do like about the design of the jbl is that it has a couple of casters on the bottom, so that should make it much easier to pull out of the small space I have!

10_Ambience_Aquarium.jpg

How about a Hydor Professional 600? They're very slim and are meant to be excellent filters.

How about a Hydor Professional 600? They're very slim and are meant to be excellent filters.

Was looking at those the other day, they look good but the flow rate is a lot lower than the JBL :(

I've just ordered the JBL e1902 as I managed to get it for £180 which is quite a deal, will hopefully get it set up and running over the weekend, so I am eager to see if it puts and end to my flow issues!!

Was looking at those the other day, they look good but the flow rate is a lot lower than the JBL :(

I've just ordered the JBL e1902 as I managed to get it for £180 which is quite a deal, will hopefully get it set up and running over the weekend, so I am eager to see if it puts and end to my flow issues!!

That is quite a deal, I've only ever seen them for £250-ish! At least you get wheels on them too as it'd be fun carrying it, they're huge!

One of the reasons I went for the Sunsuns was cost as I need two for my Rio 450, but they do skimp on the quality of the inlets/outlets and in general. The skimmers occasionally suck air too and I can't find the cause although just fiddling seems to stop it...

I'm undecided about what'll be replacing the Sunsuns, probably two Aqua One Ocellaris 3000's or two of the New Aquael Ultramax 2000's. The Aqua One canisters are the largest on the market as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:
That is quite a deal, I've only ever seen them for £250-ish! At least you get wheels on them too as it'd be fun carrying it, they're huge!

One of the reasons I went for the Sunsuns was cost as I need two for my Rio 450, but they do skimp on the quality of the inlets/outlets and in general. The skimmers occasionally suck air too and I can't find the cause although just fiddling seems to stop it...

I'm undecided about what'll be replacing the Sunsuns, probably two Aqua One Ocellaris 3000's or two of the New Aquael Ultramax 2000's. The Aqua One canisters are the largest on the market as far as I'm aware.

Yeah I got a steal on it! It was already down to £205 then there was about 10% off that. I’m keeping my fingers crossed it will be worth the money. The aquael units look decent, the pre filter is nice and easy to get at if that is a consideration for you.

I'm now out of the house for 4 days and I was lucky to have a neighbor checking on the tank as she discovered yesterday that my Oase Thermo 600 was full of air and running dry
I don't know what to think and do now.

Oh dear! Has it leaked the water out, or maybe the inlet is blocked? I’ve always checked mine daily since the cracked and broke overnight. I guess you could ask them to try priming it to see if that will fill it with water again? Hopefully the impeller isn’t damaged

I’ve had numerous leaks out of this filter, from the pre filter to the main seal on the filter head. Why, I’m unsure, but it’s always a nervous experience when I give the filter a clean. Having had new carpets I cannot take the risk any more. I was also talking to my LFS on the heater who’ve advised that If the pre filter clogs up the heater burns out as they’ve gone through several on their display unit. Its always been a disappointment for me given the filter should be ideal but wasn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well my JBl filter arrived today, but they sent the e902 and not the e1902... have to ring on Monday.
I’ve had numerous leaks out of this filter, from the pre filter to the main seal on the filter head. Why, I’m unsure, but it’s always a nervous experience when I give the filter a clean. Having had new carpets I cannot take the risk any more. I was also talking to my LFS on the heater who’ve advised that If the pre filter clogs up the heater burns out as they’ve gone through several on their display unit. Its always been a disappointment for me given the filter should be ideal but wasn’t.

That’s interesting, must have been what happened to my heater then!

Apparently so. They’ve gone through a few of them.

Back