• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase biomaster 850 Pros / cons

hmmm hearing the sound/noice stories all over the internet i think i'll skip this filter for now :( . Tank is located in the living room. So it must be a silence filter here.

hmmm hearing the sound/noice stories all over the internet i think i'll skip this filter for now :( . Tank is located in the living room. So it must be a silence filter here.
I have done the same, to many people saying the same, biomaster 850 was my initial preference...

It’s a pity because really like the filter otherwise. Have agreed with Oase and retailer that I’ll buy a 600 head (£59.99) to replace the 850 head, and return the latter for a refund. That way I’m not having to ship the whole lot back and be filter/heater less whilst awaiting a replacement. To my mind the 850 motor is a step too far in what is otherwise essentially the 600 filter. I wonder if that’s what causes the air ingress issues, which I also am experiencing.
Fingers crossed.

It’s a pity because really like the filter otherwise. Have agreed with Oase and retailer that I’ll buy a 600 head (£59.99) to replace the 850 head, and return the latter for a refund. That way I’m not having to ship the whole lot back and be filter/heater less whilst awaiting a replacement. To my mind the 850 motor is a step too far in what is otherwise essentially the 600 filter. I wonder if that’s what causes the air ingress issues, which I also am experiencing.
Fingers crossed.
From this thread it seems the 600 has the same issues you're suffering with using the 850 head Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

That thread put me off buying a Biomaster completely, ended up going down the DIY route instead.

Some of the original issues described in that thread related to the original head design, which was since updated to address that. For balance, there will be many who are happy with their filter. I am with my 600T

From this thread it seems the 600 has the same issues you're suffering with using the 850 head Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

That thread put me off buying a Biomaster completely, ended up going down the DIY route instead.
On the basis that the filter that no one has ever had an issue with is not in existence, I’m prepared to give Oase another go, rather than going completely back to the drawing board. To their and the dealer’s credit, they have accepted responsibility and are trying to resolve the issue.

Hi all. I had a oase 850. Tried everything to stop the hum. Nothing worked. Went back to my old ehiem 350t.
When I'm in the market for a new filter I was going to give aquael a look. Pre filter installed no internal heater though. ULTRAMAX - Aquael

My Oase biomaster 600 thermo is an humming machine…very bassy and thus annoyingly noisy. I got rid of it just because of that.
Back to silence with my Aquael ultramax and eheim pro4+…

Last edited:
I wanted to add that’s it’s an shame because the overall quality of the filter is very nice and this prefilter cleaning option is a must in aquascaping…I wonder if an ceramic rotor axle would make it more silent, because that would be an easy upgrade for oase and would definitely make this filters on top…

Hi Ian61,
Can you try the following?
Next time when you open the filter, remove the propeller and clean the small channel next to the main propeller pit. I think you have received a small brush with the filter, just for that job. That will help to remove the air from the propeller pit and hopefully it will reduce the filter noise.
Also, after you place the filter back inside the cabinet under the tank (what height is between top of your filter and water surface in your tank?), try to keep it with a small tilt towards left (the hoses up and prefilter lower). Just slide a ruler or something similar under the rubber feets on the hoses side. That will improve the bubbles evacuation and hopefully also a noise reduction.
In order for you to compare the effects, take a recording with the high noise before and another after using the same approach. If you can make a difference let us know.
I hope that this will help you.
Regards DG

Hello DG, thanks for your interest. Unfortunately thorough cleaning and ensuring adequately unhindered flow through the filter media makes no discernible difference to the noise level which, after all my experimentation, I’m pretty sure is just the intrinsic noise level of the motor/impeller.
On a plus point I did find several baby shrimp within the filter which have now been released into the aquarium itself. Hopefully they’ll be savvy enough to keep well hidden🤞

Hello,

I am looking for filter options for my 90p tank. I've been back and forth and keep returning to the biomaster 850 simply due to their prefilter and heater.... I am seeing a lot of threads in regards to their noise but it would be good to hear from those who have had one for a while..is the flow good - much different to the 600 ? Air issues etc ?

Many thanks
Hello,
Sorry but did you find any answer's the the Air getting in problem ?.

I had the same noise issue from my Oase 250, loud hum coming from the pump. It sits now on top of a piece of foam inside a somewhat soundproofed cabinet (walls lined with foam), and it's silent.
The biggest factor was having the foam under the filter so I'd give that a try if it's too loud for you.

I had the same noise issue from my Oase 250, loud hum coming from the pump. It sits now on top of a piece of foam inside a somewhat soundproofed cabinet (walls lined with foam), and it's silent.
The biggest factor was having the foam under the filter so I'd give that a try if it's too loud for you.
Like ecoustic foam?

for foam/rubber mat that sits under a canister i think its more to absorb/dampen the vibrations from the filter (which indirectly reduces the noise produced) as opposed to absorbing soundwaves

my lowtech filter has a HOB filter. I find that with some strategically placed blobs of blu-tack, I can actually dampen the intrinsic vibrations that the motor transmits across the HOB plastic casing and reduce the noise level.

Like ecoustic foam?
Under the filter any foam works, although some better than others. Even aquarium filter foam pads and styrofoam work. I'd say try with what you have at hand and see if that helps? I had different results using different thickness and materials/densities.
Since I needed to get some foam to line the walls of my cabinet (I got the heaviest foam I could find, not labeled as acoustic) I got some firm cushion foam as well to use under the filter.

One would think the rubber feet would be enough to dampen any vibration, but unfortunately it is really quite loud as it comes out of the factory.

Sorry folk, i have another question.
Is an Air pump really necessary for an aquarium?.
Allow me to waffle if you will pls
Having just contacted the supplier of my Oase 850 Bio-master with heater. He tell's an Air pump Is Not needed.
Now i have has fish for Many years, and never heard this.
Is It True?.
Waffle Over.
Thank

An air pump is far from essential in a proper designed and maintained system. It will add little to circulation over and above your filter and although it will increase the effective surface area for gas exchange this would be of little or no benefit unless your tank is precariously overstocked and on the brink of disaster.

Back