• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase biomaster 850 Pros / cons

Jonnywylie

Hello,

I am looking for filter options for my 90p tank. I've been back and forth and keep returning to the biomaster 850 simply due to their prefilter and heater.... I am seeing a lot of threads in regards to their noise but it would be good to hear from those who have had one for a while..is the flow good - much different to the 600 ? Air issues etc ?

Many thanks

Hello,

I am looking for filter options for my 90p tank. I've been back and forth and keep returning to the biomaster 850 simply due to their prefilter and heater.... I am seeing a lot of threads in regards to their noise but it would be good to hear from those who have had one for a while..is the flow good - much different to the 600 ? Air issues etc ?

Many thanks
I have heard they are stronger than the 600 but not massively if look at the figures, i keep debating upgrading on my aquascaper 900 as only have a 600 but all tanks in aquarium gardens only have oase 600 and they look amazing, i have the 600 woth a eheim skim in one side for a bit extra flow.

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I have heard they are stronger than the 600 but not massively if look at the figures, i keep debating upgrading on my aquascaper 900 as only have a 600 but all tanks in aquarium gardens only have oase 600 and they look amazing, i have the 600 woth a eheim skim in one side for a bit extra flow.

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Thanks mate! Yeah I noticed aquarium gardens run the 600. It seems most people do on the aquascaper 900 / 90p etc... I think the 850 is at the top of the list so far. Thanks for your input

I have biomaster 850 thermo on my 120p tank. It is not silent but I do not have an issue with the low hum. But do think the filter is fantastic
A low hum wouldn't bother me either as long as it's not too excessive. How do you find the flow on the 120p ?

Hello Jonny. I have recently installed a biomaster 850t and unfortunately it is unacceptably noisy. You can literally hear it in an adjacent room. The noise emanates from the motor and is not air or vibration, and it is unaffected by cleaning and re-siting the impeller or running with no media. I sent a video to Oase and they are sending me a new impeller to try. Fingers crossed. If that fails I may ask them to replace the 850 head with a 600 as there seem to be fewer reports of problems with that model and I am informed that the 600 head will fit the larger 850 canister. I would have to sacrifice some flow capacity but , given the tank is in my lounge, it does need to be quiet.

Good luck, Ian

Hello Jonny. I have recently installed a biomaster 850t and unfortunately it is unacceptably noisy. You can literally hear it in an adjacent room. The noise emanates from the motor and is not air or vibration, and it is unaffected by cleaning and re-siting the impeller or running with no media. I sent a video to Oase and they are sending me a new impeller to try. Fingers crossed. If that fails I may ask them to replace the 850 head with a 600 as there seem to be fewer reports of problems with that model and I am informed that the 600 head will fit the larger 850 canister. I would have to sacrifice some flow capacity but , given the tank is in my lounge, it does need to be quiet.

Good luck, Ian
Hello Ian,
Be good to see wether it fixes the problem. It is a concern for myself as my tank is in my living room also! I cannot cope with something that emits such noise. Its a bit disappointing to hear as the filter isn't exactly cheap and you should not be needing to be changing parts to make it satisfactory. I have been thinking the 600 could be a option as like you say there's not as much reports of them being noisy. Appreciate your feedback!

Cheers!

Same here. Still looking for a new filter for the coming 120P and i would like to give the 850T a new try (the one i had was returned to the store). But on youtube, fora etc it still doesn't give me a good feeling and the noise/air issues keep popping up :(

Hi. It is difficult to be objective about the actual noise level but despite the subjective element there does seem to be a lot of variability between individual filters. If any one wants to see/hear my video send me a message as I can’t load it on this thread.

Have you considered as an alternative to the Oase 800 installing two Oase 350? You would get more flow (2200 l/h vs 1550 l/h) and more media volume (11.2 l vs 8 l) for about the same energy consumption (36W vs 32 W). The overall noise would likely be less perceptible since the 350 is not a loud filter. The dual filter set up also gives you more flexibility, especially if you want to install a inline CO2 diffuser or reactor or a UV-C device since the flow of one of the two filters would be unaffected.

Hi,
Because of this bad received "inputs" from people with oase 850, and because one big local store with a lot experiencie in maintenance that sell's oase and eheim and ADA, simply told me: "if you want the most silent filter with internal heater and high capacity, just go for eheim 1200xlt".
The store of this guy have maintained a lot aquariums for the last years, and they are not supported by any brand.
Also told me "The best thing in oase is the price for a filter with integrated heater! Not the silence or the flow of it". "If the filter will be stored in an office or in "an not silent" part of you house oase is good option"

Just the opinion of someone I trust that also sells oase, and build beautiful scapes with OASE, But if the budget allows, he always choose eheim.
Regards

Hi,
Because of this bad received "inputs" from people with oase 850, and because one big local store with a lot experiencie in maintenance that sell's oase and eheim and ADA, simply told me: "if you want the most silent filter with internal heater and high capacity, just go for eheim 1200xlt".
The store of this guy have maintained a lot aquariums for the last years, and they are not supported by any brand.
Also told me "The best thing in oase is the price for a filter with integrated heater! Not the silence or the flow of it". "If the filter will be stored in an office or in "an not silent" part of you house oase is good option"

Just the opinion of someone I trust that also sells oase, and build beautiful scapes with OASE, But if the budget allows, he always choose eheim.
Regards

The high capacity Eheim Professionel 3/4/5 filters are certainly excellent options. Note that the models with internal heater have a fixed heating element whereas the one in the Oase is removable and can be replaced if needed. Moreover, the heating element in the Eheim filters is on the bottom of the canister. So, you need to remove the media to keep the heating element clean. But the big advantage of the Oase Biomaster filters is the pre-filter design, which can be easily accessed and cleaned without disassembling the whole system. So, until Eheim adds a similar pre-filter design to their filters, the major trade-off is the time spent on filter maintenance.

The high capacity Eheim Professionel 3/4/5 filters are certainly excellent options. Note that the models with internal heater have a fixed heating element whereas the one in the Oase is removable and can be replaced if needed. Moreover, the heating element in the Eheim filters is on the bottom of the canister. So, you need to remove the media to keep the heating element clean. But the big advantage of the Oase Biomaster filters is the pre-filter design, which can be easily accessed and cleaned without disassembling the whole system. So, until Eheim adds a similar pre-filter design to their filters, the major trade-off is the time spent on filter maintenance.
Hi,
You are correct in some points for sure.
But eheim professionel 3 have the heating element on the TOP.
I my opinion the main cons of the eheim is the pre-filter, and price of the spare parts.
But flow and silence... Eheim beats Oase for a long distance.
And I was talking about Oase 850 vs Eheim prof 3 1200xlt. In the small ones maybe the silence and flow will not be so different.

regards

Last edited:
And I was talking about Oase 850 vs Eheim prof 3 1200xlt. In the small ones maybe the silence and flow will not be so different.
The 1200 xl is still Eheim's largest filter. It is the only remaining filter available from the "older" professional 3 series. The current models have lower capacity: the 4+ series has a maximum capacity of 7 liters and the recent 5e series of 8.6 liters. The Oase 850 also has a volume of 8.6 liters, so ~45% less volume than the 13.5 liters of the Eheim 1200. So, you are comparing different realities. It makes more sense to compare two Oase 600 vs. one Eheim 1200. In this case, the two Oase 600 filters provide the same filtration volume as one Eheim 1200 and deliver a higher flow.

But flow and silence... Eheim beats Oase for a long distance.

Silence is subjective and greatly depends on how the equipment is installed, aquarium cabinet, insulation and other factors. You can pick virtually any filter on the market and you can be sure you will find users complaining about how noisy that filter is.

Regarding the flow. There is no agreed testing procedure to measure the flow of an aquarium filter pump. So, the advertised numbers represent some sort of maximum theoretical power at the pump head. The out flow of a filter is always (much) lower than the advertised value. The final value will depend on your individual system setup based on installation height, pipe diameter and length, filter media quantity and type and so on. So, I am not sure how you can claim that Eheim "beats" Oase in terms of flow. Note that if you are just looking at the advertised flow rates, then the Eheim filters also "beat" the flow of the ADA Super Jet filters, and by a very large margin ;)

The 1200 xl is still Eheim's largest filter. It is the only remaining filter available from the "older" professional 3 series. The current models have lower capacity: the 4+ series has a maximum capacity of 7 liters and the recent 5e series of 8.6 liters. The Oase 850 also has a volume of 8.6 liters, so ~45% less volume than the 13.5 liters of the Eheim 1200. So, you are comparing different realities. It makes more sense to compare two Oase 600 vs. one Eheim 1200. In this case, the two Oase 600 filters provide the same filtration volume as one Eheim 1200 and deliver a higher flow.

Silence is subjective and greatly depends on how the equipment is installed, aquarium cabinet, insulation and other factors. You can pick virtually any filter on the market and you can be sure you will find users complaining about how noisy that filter is.

Regarding the flow. There is no agreed testing procedure to measure the flow of an aquarium filter pump. So, the advertised numbers represent some sort of maximum theoretical power at the pump head. The out flow of a filter is always (much) lower than the advertised value. The final value will depend on your individual system setup based on installation height, pipe diameter and length, filter media quantity and type and so on. So, I am not sure how you can claim that Eheim "beats" Oase in terms of flow. Note that if you are just looking at the advertised flow rates, then the Eheim filters also "beat" the flow of the ADA Super Jet filters, and by a very large margin ;)
Hello,
I'm also not sponsored by any brand. And I like Oase also, I have been in the shop and got it (850) in my hands.
Anyway the thread was the noise of Oase 850, I just share my "findings" because I was about to buy it 1 month ago.
The propose was comparison of Oase 850 (1500 l/h in theory) vs Eheim 1200xlt(1700l/h in theory). Not all filters from the brands and multifilters.....
Because me and a lot other people don't mind to spend more money if we get more silence with that.
You can keep Oase, the others can read one more opinions, mine and from my local shops (now there is two shops with same opinion).
One Big thermo canister filter (>1300l/h) more silent = Eheim.
Or the cabinet can be isolated and changed and... bla bla bla.

Regards

Hi. It is difficult to be objective about the actual noise level but despite the subjective element there does seem to be a lot of variability between individual filters. If any one wants to see/hear my video send me a message as I can’t load it on this thread.
This is a video of my biomaster 850 for noise comparison it's only 3 seconds due to upload limits

Hello. Got my new impeller today. Unfortunately, perhaps predictably, it’s made no difference. Will contact Oase tomorrow. I’m thinking my best course of action is to try to swap the 850 head for a 600 as I can manage with reduced flow but would like to keep the existing canister, heater and pipe work. I believe the 2 heads are interchangeable.We have got to the stage of turning the filter off if we’re using the living room. Hardly ideal!

Back