• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase Biomaster 850 - media choice

Karacticus

Hello, everyone.

I am in the process of setting up a large (300l) planted aquarium. I am taking each step as it comes, as I want to get myself off to a decent start. I am gradually buying up the things I need.

I have a Oase BioMaster Thermo 850, which has I think six media trays in it. I was initially planning to swap this out after watching some YouTube videos, but some of the advice I have found on this forum suggests sticking with the pre-installed sponges. Other members suggest using activated carbon and zeolite. I tend to get suckered into paying for shiny things, but in terms of getting the best from my filter would I be best placed sticking with the sponges and maybe swapping out the little plastic balls for a tray of activated carbon and one of zeolite? What do other people find works best? Or what would experienced members choose if starting such a system afresh?

My local water parameters are hard and I understand I have high nitrates, so anything I can do to improve my base water quality I'd like to do.

I intend to plant quite heavily and eventually have a good amount of livestock. It will be a high energy set-up with CO2.

I have searched for a thread about this and have had some success, but none have given a definitive. If there is such a thing.

I am finding the site really useful so far! Glad I joined.

Thanks

Mark

Hi @Karacticus and welcome to ukaps.
I have a Biomaster 850T and just use 3 layers of the foam provided with nothing in the other trays. With a high plant load you don't need a lot of media, best to get maximum throughput. Your plants will do the rest if they are growing well.
I wouldn't worry about the nitrates in the tapwater, just means you wont need to add as much with your fertiliser blend.
You need to add fertilisers and there are lots of threads on different options. There isn't just one best method🤔
If your water is hard the biggest issue will be probably be the Iron chelate in the trace elements you pick, there are a few threads on this . Dont use FeEDTA .
Hope it goes well, any questions just ask the forum, there are a lot of knowledgable members.
Cheers
John

Hi all,
I tend to get suckered into paying for shiny things
Have a look at <"Bedside Aquarium">.
My local water parameters are hard and I understand I have high nitrates,
Likely to be, it will definitely be hard, but the exact levels for both hardness and NO3 depends a little bit on the mix of Chew / Blagdon and Sharpness Canal water. Where do you live in Bristol?

cheers Darrel

Thanks, @jolt100 and @dw1305. Appreciate you taking the time to reply. I live in Staple Hill, near Fishponds/Downend/Mangotsfield. I will have a read of that thread a little later, so thanks. I also need to understand the fertiliser aspect, as it seems more complicated that I first thought! Will keep reading!

I found a document suggesting NO3 would be in the region of 20mg per litre. The chap in Maidenhead said it would be high, but that's not too bad is it?

Also, would there be any benefit adding deactivated carbon from the start?

Hi all,
I found a document suggesting NO3 would be in the region of 20mg per litre. The chap in Maidenhead said it would be high, but that's not too bad is it?
Yes, that sounds about right, it will probably be lower in the winter and higher in the summer. You can get figures from Bristol Water via their web-site and your post code.
I live in Staple Hill, near Fishponds/Downend/Mangotsfield.
I've played cricket at Page Park in the past, you probably get more Sharpness canal water in your mix, so lower hardness, but generally higher NO3 levels.

cheers Darrel

Back