• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase bio master 850 noisy air problems

Joanne.S

Hey guys any help would be appreciate. My Oase 850 gets trapped air, there is gurgling in the pump then a whoosh of air going into the tank.
any ideas how I can stop his.
I have a 450lt discus tank with one 350 bio master and one 850 bio master. it’s driving me nuts

Solution
It's quite common for canister filters, generally caused by small amount of air being sucked in on the inlet side of the pump, using through pipe connections. The amount of air is generally too small to detect and it can happen even when the pipe work looks like it is well connected. It can also happen it an air-stone is too close to the inlet and bubbles are entering that way.

The easiest way to think about it is that the pump is sucking water through the inlet pipe and blowing it through the outlet pipe. The sucking can draw in air through pipe connections, and the strength of the sucking force is also dependent on how much water can flow tough the pipe. This a bit of a simplification of the physics, but I hope you get the idea...
As I have a Biomaster 350 I have a vested interest in knowing where it may leak so if any of you know where that’s possible (excluding external plumbing) apart from the parts arrowed please let me know.
50F2BF15-80DA-4CA1-8680-DFA8F244D06C.jpeg

There are a few more seals in my Biomaster 350 than my other canister filters but these are inside the filter itself so I don’t see how air could get in this way.
I wasn't just talking about O-rings but, complication in general. Just look at the flow path, all of the levers, the priming system, the pre-filter system, the heater compartment, the tray design, etc. The whole things is an over complicated mess imo with many failure points in general and many more then other options. Also, if you read our last two posts you will see that we have been also thinking it may be an internal design flaw unrelated to seal/O-ring issues. The bottom line is they purge air all the time when others don't.
As far as I’m aware the Thermo 350 doesn’t have any more O rings than my non thermo model? There is an O ringed sealed cap where the heater goes. Perhaps I’m wrong but I thought you just took the cap off and installed the heater with its own O ring?
Again, complication in general. That said, a heater expands and contracts with every cycle which will definitely increase chances of leakage, even when a flexible O-ring is used, and even having the passage in the first place adds an extra incursion point.
I bought spare seals for mine, the main gasket and pre filter gasket. I need to get the two for the inlet/outlet connection unit. Apart from any other hose connections that any filter will require I can’t see where air can get sucked in unless it’s going directly into the main inlet pipe (operator error) ?
Yep, it's possible as we hypothesized earlier, that it is an engineering flaw with the design itself, that let's air accumulate, where it doesn't with other designs. Either way, the result is an annoying pain in the butt that many have struggled to remedy.
Thinking about this further my Tetratec and Sera canister filters both have the same number of potential places to leak water or suck in air as the Biomaster. I had a water leak on the inlet manifold of my Tetratec a while back that required a whole new unit.
The take away is that the Oase has a problem that other options don't struggle with. That is why I don't think they are worth the trouble personally. At least until they refine the design and I stop hearing about constant issues.
The simplest is my Eheim Classic and that only has the main gasket, an O ring inside the head unit and one on the inlet pipe.
Yep, a great design imo and just like the ADA and Fzone stainless options I mentioned earlier. They take a bit more time to clean but, the advantage is the "KISS" design with very little in the way of points of failure.

Personally, I think the perfect Canister might be a two tube combo if you will. Think 2 of the ADA/Fzone stainless ones, one small and one large, welded together and plumbed in sequence. The small one is a simple prefilter with an easy to remove lid and coarse foam throughout and the big one is regular sized with just finer filter foam, filter floss/polishing pad, and biomedia. That way you just clean the easy to open pre-filter canister most of the time and do a thorough cleaning of the main canister less often just like the Biomaster. I may grab the tig welder and make a prototype of this design in the future...

I wasn't just talking about O-rings but, complication in general. Just look at the flow path, all of the levers, the priming system, the pre-filter system, the heater compartment, the tray design, etc. The whole things is an over complicated mess imo with many failure points in general and many more then other options. Also, if you read our last two posts you will see that we have been also thinking it may be an internal design flaw unrelated to seal/O-ring issues. The bottom line is they purge air all the time when others don't.
Mine doesn’t purge air all the time. And I’m not sure what you mean about “failure points”?
Again, complication in general. That said, a heater expands and contracts with every cycle which will definitely increase chances of leakage, even when a flexible O-ring is used, and even having the passage in the first place adds an extra incursion point.
That’s not what you said though, you said the Thermo had more O rings and it doesn’t.
Yep, it's possible as we hypothesized earlier, that it is an engineering flaw with the design itself, that let's air accumulate, where it doesn't with other designs. Either way, the result is an annoying pain in the butt that many have struggled to remedy.
Well Oase seem to have remedied it on my 350
The take away is that the Oase has a problem that other options don't struggle with. That is why I don't think they are worth the trouble personally. At least until they refine the design and I stop hearing about constant issues.
Many filters have had issues over the years, particularly Eheim. I have an Eheim Classic that is unusable due to the noise it makes. The Biomaster is much quieter.
Yep, a great design imo and just like the ADA and Fzone stainless options I mentioned earlier. They take a bit more time to clean but, the advantage is the "KISS" design with very little in the way of points of failure.
Agreed but the ADA is very expensive and I’ve seen comments about poor flow.
Personally, I think the perfect Canister might be a two tube combo if you will. Think 2 of the ADA/Fzone stainless ones, one small and one large, welded together and plumbed in sequence. The small one is a simple prefilter with an easy to remove lid and coarse foam throughout and the big one is regular sized with just finer filter foam, filter floss/polishing pad, and biomedia. That way you just clean the easy to open pre-filter canister most of the time and do a thorough cleaning of the main canister less often just like the Biomaster. I may grab the tig welder and make a prototype of this design in the future...
The ADA, with a few simple improvements like a handle on the top would suit me as long as it was much cheaper. Then again, I don’t know how quiet it is?

Mine doesn’t purge air all the time.
I'm glad you got a good one and/or yours is working well in your setup but, many, many others are having issues.
And I’m not sure what you mean about “failure points”?
Points of failure, in not sure how else to say it. Every extra O-ring, gasket, lever, added complication in general is another thing that can break. That's where the term "KISS"(keep it simple stupid) comes from. The Oase is a complicated design, maybe the most complicated on the market, thus a lot of things to go wrong...
That’s not what you said though, you said the Thermo had more O rings and it doesn’t.
I was talking about compared to other brands, particularly those who do not have internal heaters.
Well Oase seem to have remedied it on my 350
Again, that's great it's working for you👍.
Many filters have had issues over the years, particularly Eheim. I have an Eheim Classic that is unusable due to the noise it makes. The Biomaster is much quieter.
I hear Eheim were a lot better back in the day but, still pretty reliable for the most part. Sorry you got a bad one.

Anyone can get a bad one/lemon and there are always issues from time to time(noise variation is a commonly reported issue with Biomasters, MJ Aquascaping on YouTube got rid of his 850 because of it was so loud and annoying for instance). I have heard of noise variation issues with other brands too. But, the reports of air purging issues with the Biomaster are on a whole other level. Personally, I think it has/had a design flaw but, maybe they fixed it?
Agreed but the ADA is very expensive and I’ve seen comments about poor flow.
The Fzone and other knockoffs are a bit less spendy but, yes it is one of the highest priced units. It is made of stainless steel though and is fully modular and user serviceable so it is basically a lifetime purchase. It is on a different level then any other mass produced filter that I know of and you pay for that.
The ADA, with a few simple improvements like a handle on the top would suit me as long as it was much cheaper.
Quality costs money. So do TIG welders wages and stainless steel lol.
Then again, I don’t know how quiet it is?
It depends on what pump one uses. I think it varys by time frame and manufacturer(there are several versions of the ADA design). I believe you can also just buy the can and add a pump of your choosing yourself.

Last edited:
I currently own 5 canister filters. The Eheim Classic is far too noisy to use, as is the Sera 130+UV. The Tetratec EX400 I was using which was silent is now left unused as the correct impeller seems to be unavailable and the replacements make it noisy. Apart from the Biomaster I’m also using a TetraTec EX600 which had a leak due to a design flaw, Tetra sent me an updated replacement. Apart from the Eheim all of my filters have about the same number of seals potentially open to atmosphere. I believe the early Biomasters may have been a bit noisy but this was addressed by Oase with a slightly modified head. I don’t believe the flow path inside the filter is an issue one way or another. The flow on other filters doesn’t make sense to me either, like some of the Fluvals. In order to provide an easy to use pre filter the unit is necessarily more complicated as you put it - two levers wow, what a complication - and it seems it was for a few owners who didn’t follow the instructions.

People have been moaning about canister filters ever since *Eheim brought out their original, now called the classic. The number of people that couldn’t prime these filters or get the air out must have run into the thousands.

The priming system on the Biomaster that you dislike so much is better than any of the other filters I’ve owned and is very effective.
Will my Biomaster continue to prove to be effective and leak free in the future? Who knows, I’ve come to expect failure in one form or another as you can tell from my opening comments.

* The Eheim Classic has been around for a very long time and even after 40 years they still haven’t corrected an inherent design flaw.
The underside of the head, like most canister filters is flat. It also has quite a deep flange around the impeller intake. This requires lots of rocking the canister back and forth and turning the filter on and off to get all the air out. I suspect a slightly conical depression inside the head would have solved this problem. The Biomaster head is also flat but somehow it manages to expel trapped air very quickly without the need to rock it.

The designers of the ADA filter seem to have made some interesting design choices that I wouldn’t have made but without using one I can’t say if it has a negative impact on the operation or not. ADA have something of a cult following and likely sell low numbers so I guess complaints are likely to be commensurate?

I’ll say no more.

Hi all,
Apart from the Eheim all of my filters have about the same number of seals potentially open to atmosphere.
I'm going to agree with @FISHnLAB on this one, <"the fewer seals the better">.
The Eheim Classic is far too noisy to use,
It is a shame, <"the old ones"> are really quiet, until the ceramic shaft wears. I don't own any more recently made ones, but I'm told they don't have the same build quality.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I'm going to agree with @FISHnLAB on this one, <"the fewer seals the better">.
cheers Darrel
I don’t disagree either Darrel, but as I said apart from the Eheim Classic they've all got about the same number of external seals.
In fact the Tetratec may have one more ( I can’t be sure without taking the manifold apart).

Edit: I’ve just checked. There are four seals in the inlet/outlet unit on the Tetratec, it was one of these that failed and caused a leak.
So yes, it has 6 potential seals that can cause a leak compared to 5 on the Biomaster. And one of these is for the heater which the Tetra doesn’t have.

Last edited:
Back