• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Oase bio master 850 noisy air problems

Joanne.S

Hey guys any help would be appreciate. My Oase 850 gets trapped air, there is gurgling in the pump then a whoosh of air going into the tank.
any ideas how I can stop his.
I have a 450lt discus tank with one 350 bio master and one 850 bio master. it’s driving me nuts

Solution
It's quite common for canister filters, generally caused by small amount of air being sucked in on the inlet side of the pump, using through pipe connections. The amount of air is generally too small to detect and it can happen even when the pipe work looks like it is well connected. It can also happen it an air-stone is too close to the inlet and bubbles are entering that way.

The easiest way to think about it is that the pump is sucking water through the inlet pipe and blowing it through the outlet pipe. The sucking can draw in air through pipe connections, and the strength of the sucking force is also dependent on how much water can flow tough the pipe. This a bit of a simplification of the physics, but I hope you get the idea...

adriancarr

It's quite common for canister filters, generally caused by small amount of air being sucked in on the inlet side of the pump, using through pipe connections. The amount of air is generally too small to detect and it can happen even when the pipe work looks like it is well connected. It can also happen it an air-stone is too close to the inlet and bubbles are entering that way.

The easiest way to think about it is that the pump is sucking water through the inlet pipe and blowing it through the outlet pipe. The sucking can draw in air through pipe connections, and the strength of the sucking force is also dependent on how much water can flow tough the pipe. This a bit of a simplification of the physics, but I hope you get the idea.

The solutions are:
1. Put hose clips onto all connection on the inlet side.
2. Make sure any flow regulators on the inlet side are fully open. Only control the flow on the outlet side.

Solution

Joanne.S

Thank you for your advice, I will check all the connections and piping, continue to tilt and see how it goes.
I will keep you updated 😊