• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase 600 and 850 Thermo. How to lubricate the inlet, outlet isolation valve and the pre-filter isolation valve?

DogTailRed2

The inlet, outlet isolation valve and pre-filter isolation valve are becomming stiff to operate and I'm affraid they may eventually break.
I did break the primer on my Fluval 407 recently and found out that if I had lubricated the primer it wouldn't have happened.
So I'm assuming the same may happen to the Oase filters.
I've checked online but cannot find the answer.

Many thanks.

Hi all,

<"Silicone oil or grease">. I usually use silicon grease, but an oil spray is probably more convenient.

cheers Darrel
The question innevitably is how do you grease the valve? How do you dismantle it or in fact can you dismantle it?
As to oil sprays I think I'll wait as the ingress of oil into the tank might be bad.
Any other suggestions?

Hi all,
How do you dismantle it or in fact can you dismantle it?
Just smear it in the valve with a cotton bud.
I tend to use the Eheim maintenance spray which works really well.
Probably the easiest option.
As to oil sprays I think I'll wait as the ingress of oil into the tank might be bad.
Silicone oil should be non-toxic, I've never ended up with so much it has formed a film on the waters surface, but if it did? You should be able to mop it up with a kitchen towel placed on the water surface.

cheers Darrel

I find that just silicone greasing the o-rings on the pre-filter and inlet/outlet valve make the levers somewhat easier to operate. Might not be enough for your situation though in which case the plastic sliding bits are easy to reach with a cotton bud when the pre-filter is removed (as suggested above).

Back