• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nymphoides coreana

zozo

Seems to be a rather small Nymphoides from China.. But actualy couldn't find any proper discription of this little plant.. Wonder why it still is fairly unknown in the aquarium trade. Looking at pictures it realy looks like a stunning little plant.. :) Very cute little flower..

http://www.weblio.jp/content/Nymphoides+coreana
797px-Nymphoides_coreana_flower.jpg

7697745618_1a723d7309.jpg

Mean while writing..
Stems long, cylindric, rooting from nodes, unbranched. Petiole cylindric, 1-10 cm, articulated, base decurrent; leaf blade ovate-cordate to orbicular, 2-6 cm in diam., base cordate, margin entire. Flowers few to many, 4- or 5-merous. Pedicel cylindric, 1-3 cm. Calyx lobes broadly lanceolate, apex acute. Corolla white, rotate, ca. 8 mm; lobes membranous, margin laciniate. Capsules elliptic, 4-5 mm, persistent style less than 1 mm. Seeds elliptic, ca. 1 mm; seed coat smooth or with a sparsely denticulate margin. 2n = 56.

@Martin in China :) you maybe have see this one around.. Or maybe not because it's so small. And that other floater is also very good looking and not very much bigger.. Do you maybe know which one it is? Since both are native to China..

Last edited:
From what i could find it's native to China, Taiwan all the way to Japan.. :) Probably more countries, not yet reported... I only could find the Nymphoides indica from (india) via a German nursery.. This one is slightly bigger.. They have to nickname Water Snowflake.. Remarkable, Japan is aquascape country number one, but this one? Wonder what the reason is..

This is a pic from an Italian guy managed to get some seeds.
13925095_777345252405307_4289458401877481951_n.jpg

That's a beautifully delicate flower. How long does it last?

I'm not sure, if it's the same as the N. Indica wich is a pinch bigger but looks like a twin, blooms from july to august.. From the Coreana are no cultivation data to be found, at least not in a language i can read. It's closely related to the N. Aquatica (Banana) ofcourse, which is in floating form much bigger and has less cute flowers, but all over available in the lfs.

I've asked that Italian guy, if seeds are somewhere for sale, but till now no answer.

I've asked that Italian guy, if seeds are somewhere for sale, but till now no answer.

Massimo (your Italuan guy) sent me a few plants for testing long ago.......it's not really an easy plant to grow in my opinion. It is also very difficult to "incorporate" in most tank set-up's, since the submerse plant is really very small. What I like to call a plant for only "hard-core nerds" ;) :) :thumbup:
I managed to get a flower, too, but after that the plants just slowly died off.

Massimo (your Italuan guy) sent me a few plants for testing long ago.......it's not really an easy plant to grow in my opinion. It is also very difficult to "incorporate" in most tank set-up's, since the submerse plant is really very small. What I like to call a plant for only "hard-core nerds" ;) :) :thumbup:
Haha...Just like Marcel...in pursuit of the very difficult:D
Personally, I'd take that as a massive compliment:)

I managed to get a flower, too, but after that the plants just slowly died off.

That's what i thought already, probably any other way it would have been known much more bu now.. :) But i still would love to give it a try.. Not that i'm a hardcore nerd, always kinda failed, but still very eager to become one.. :lol:.. But regarding it's size it probably needs something realy shallow. And that's realy something i like very much to explore in the future. I guess the failures are also because of the limited supplies of specimen..

Funny you know that Massimo, i found his recent post about this plant (pic above) at facebook (rareaquaticplants,com). So it seems he's not given up on it yet.. :)

Hi all, I am Roberto Pellegrini from Italy, of the 'Area Palustre' aquatic plant collection.
I'm growing Nymphoides coreana starting from seed. The third photo is mine but now those plants have grown and they get ready for flowering. In practice there is no information (in the West) about its cultivation. It is a hardy species (therefore also suitable for outdoor ponds) and I noticed that it is viviparous from the leaves.

Hi all, I am Roberto Pellegrini from Italy, of the 'Area Palustre' aquatic plant collection.
I'm growing Nymphoides coreana starting from seed. The third photo is mine but now those plants have grown and they get ready for flowering. In practice there is no information (in the West) about its cultivation. It is a hardy species (therefore also suitable for outdoor ponds) and I noticed that it is viviparous from the leaves.
Hi Roberto welcome.. :) I'm that Dutch guy who replied to that photo you posted on Massimo's facebook page. Great to meet you here at UKAPS too. Fantastic to read that the little plants do well and even propaget viviparously, when you manage to grow it big enough and willing to share (sell) some cuttings you may contact me any time.

Wonderfull! :playful: Do you grow it indoors or outdoors?

Back