• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nymphea (red) bulbs.. how do they grow ?

A

Antipofish

Hi
I have a nymphea red lily bulb and while doing some replanting I needed to move it. God it grows like a weed, it must have quadrupled in 3 weeks. And it seems to grow new plants from the bulb which have developed their own root systems, and the bulb is showing signs of new plants growing out of it still. Is this how it grows ? "Gives birth" to new plants which develop their own roots ? Are these plants then self sufficient ? Will they just grow as rooted plants once removed from the mother bulb, or will they grow their own bulbs to become new "mothers" ?

cheers.

Bulbs will grow multiple plants from them, usually between 5-10 per bulb. Just keep snapping them off and they will grow fine once they have some roots on them

Gill said:
Bulbs will grow multiple plants from them, usually between 5-10 per bulb. Just keep snapping them off and they will grow fine once they have some roots on them

Awesome, this plant ROCKS. So when its grown its 5/10 is that it ? Its expired ? And will the new plants generate new bulbs ?

I have never seen a new plant make its own bulb. From Experience once they have grown around 8 that it is for them.
I tend to Snap the Bulb free once the mother produces nice pads. And they let a new plant grow and then snap it free once it has some good leaves on it and a few roots, then repeat.

Gill said:
I have never seen a new plant make its own bulb. From Experience once they have grown around 8 that it is for them.
I tend to Snap the Bulb free once the mother produces nice pads. And they let a new plant grow and then snap it free once it has some good leaves on it and a few roots, then repeat.

And then when it stops, discard the bulb right ?

Back