• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nutritional deficiencies?

Katie656

Hi

I have an high tech planted tank and overall the plants seem to be doing ok. However I have a couple of plants that are not looking good, I am presuming they are suffering from a nutritional deficiency. Can you help me identify the issue please? There is good circulation, the drop checker is a light green and the tank gets 3ml of TNC complete daily. Thanks

17B7D727-34D7-45BB-AF87-877DC4E2EDC2.jpeg CB47E349-BFCF-439A-8C66-A65272AABC0B.jpeg AD1B3EC0-7EBA-4469-AFB3-DF8CD7E23702.jpeg

May be insufficient ferts for the tank size. The floating plant yellowing is a good indication of this, some wait to see this happening before adding more ferts aka “The Duckweed Index”.
How did you calculate 3ml daily?
Maybe check the dose here:
http://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

Nice tank by the way :)
You might find that increasing the number of plants will help you avoid other issues as the tank matures.

Good luck!

Thank you for your response, it was very helpful.

I read on the TNC website that dosing around 30ml of TNC weekly for my tank size was similar to EI dosing. I just lowered the amount slightly (as the tank is not fully planted yet) and divided it by 7. But maybe with good lighting and CO2 injection this isn’t enough?

I’m definitely going to get more plants, I’m aiming for a bit of a jungle look, but just trying to get these plants growing nicely first. Thanks again!

Insufficient magnesium, insufficient iron or lack of carbon source will all give symptoms like this.

Hi all,
Insufficient magnesium, insufficient iron or lack of carbon source will all give symptoms like this.
Iron would be my guess.

If you look at the new leaves on the Frogbit they look pale, and that allows you to discount carbon (C) and magnesium (Mg), where deficiencies would show first in the older leaves.

I’d try a different iron source, have a look at <“Duckweed Index says......”>.

Cheers Darrel

Back