• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Nualgi

alanchown

I have just got a delivery of Nualgi Freshwater. Had to pay another £11 for VAT and customs handling charge which was a tad unexpected.

I have no great expectations for this stuff, but all the review on the web and YouTube have been positive so nothing ventured, nothing gained- so I'll post on here my findings- if any.

I don't have a massive algae issue- get a bit of Black Hair Algae on my foreground plants. I have had BBA Algae but bleached all my wood a few weeks back-so that's gone for the time being. Get a bit of algae on the glass- but it does receive a bit of sun during the day.

My Aquarium is 100x40x45 so around 170L taking into account substrate.
I have JBL Proscape soil as a substrate. Lights are 2 x 39W T5 for 7 hrs and 2 x 39W T5 foe 2 hrs in the middle of the cycle. I have injected CO2. Aquamanta 300 (1100L/per hour) plus a Hydor Nano circulation pump.

Plants are mainly Amazon Swords, and Crypts. Trying some Dwarf Hairgrass 'mini' and some Echinodorus Tennulus.

I dose Aquarium Plant Foods DIY EI as per instructions and 5 ml of excel- moving to TNC carbon when that runs out.

My tank Parameters at the end of the week prior to 50% water change are:-

Nitrate-15
Nitrite 0
GH 14
KH 6
CO2 25ppm.

Alan

I have put my first weekly dose in- nothing miraculous has happened! Fish and plants still alive.

I'm still on my first weekly dose, and 2 days in. Nothing obvious changed with Algae, but my water does seem remarkably clear. I may be imagining it, I also use Purigen, but it seems clearer than ever.

Alan

Not sure I'm that brave! My aquascaping skills are zero!
I'm not sure my test of Nulagi is 100% fair- a week or 2 before the start I pulled all my plants out, didn't intend to- just went that way. Wanted to thin the stem plants out- ended up chucking most of them as I think they stop the light getting to my foreground plants. My Amazons had grown huge, but the bases were full of stumps of old leaves- so out they came and tidied up. My Amazons seem to have taken a bit of a hit- which is not surprising as they have been stressed somewhat- as a result I do seem to have a bit of an outbreak of what I think is staghorn algae- a black fibrous algae on my spray bar (now cleaned off) and Amazon leaves. I replaced my stem plants with Crypt Balansae which seems to be doing well. The micro hairgrass, not so well, have had trouble rooting it in JBL soil- think the Corydoras uproot it-very little root on it as culture pot.
I'll post a pic when the lights come on.

Think this should work
GhzhET
https://flic.kr/p/GhzhET. Maybe not- I have posted a link.

End of second week, 3rd dose in after todays water change.

I definitely have less, in fact possibly no green algae on the glass. It catches a bit of sun during the day, so susceptible to a bit of algae on the glass. There has been little, if no impact on any of the black hairy algae I have (not BBA). IN the last week my Crypt. Balansae have really taken off- must have grown at least an inch in the last week if not considerably more. This is probably due to them becoming acclimatized-I planted them a month ago.

4 or 5 weeks in- no apparent changes. I have no green algae, all bar a tiny bit on my glass, which does get direct sun. Much less than before, My black furry algae is as bad as ever and am now waiting a delivery of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide!

Back