• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NPK and nitrogen cycle

danclouds

Seedling
Hi all,

My question is can adding EI levels of N to an in cycled brand new planted tank stall the cycle?

Really appreciate all input.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
My question is can adding EI levels of N to an un-cycled brand new planted tank stall the cycle?
No.

You are adding NO3- and that is the end product of nitrification, the level of nitrate doesn't have any effect on the conversion of NH3(4+) to NO2- or of NO2- to NO3-.

If you are adding ammonia (as NH4Cl etc) to "cycle" the tank? You can stop, it doesn't serve any useful purpose and may actually be damaging.

Basically cycling is an ongoing process, and it never really starts or stops. More complex ecosystems are more resilient and planted tanks produce a lot more areas where nitrification can occur.

If you think of cycling as a web, rather than a linear process (with a switch from "non-cycled" to "cycled"), it becomes easier to visualise whether systems are likely to maintain water quality.

If you want a more complete over-view of nitrification have a look at <"Filter cycling..">, <"Best way to cycle..."> and <"Need some opinions...">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
No ammonia being added. I’m dosing aquascaper complete 10ml daily with large weekly water changes.

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back