• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Not enough flow ?

rt964

I'm running 2 external filters (Eheim 2076 rated at 1600lph and an Aquamanta 400 rated at 1400lph) in a 60x24x18 tank. By my calculation, this is about 400l, so the flow is about 7.5 times the water volume (on the basis both filters are working at max capacity, which is unlikely !). Is it worth adding a powerhead to this setup ? If so, any recommendations ?

Thanks

Richard

I think it depends on how heavily stocked your tank is, 7 and half times tank volume is still very good. And ten times flow is based on the manufacturers flow rating I think. Not what it actually throws out. Maybe just see how you go with what you have, then as the tank gets planted more, you'll be able to see if you require a power head. I know you can get 3000 l/hr ones cheap off eBay. Intact I think someone is selling one on the for sale section here. I have a 450 litre, with two fx5s giving me over the ten times flow, yet I have these both turned half way until my tank gets more plants added or it's a whirlpool

The tank is quite heavily stocked (fish-wise) - 12 discus, 4 Bolivian rams, 12(ish) cardinal tera, 8(ish) rummy nose tetra, 8 ottos, 4 Siamese algae eaters, 3 sterbai corys, a starlight plec and a black ghost knife fish! I have to do a water change every other day of around 80l and vacuum up the debris each time I do so!

I think I need to move the spray bars from the opposite ends of the tank (where they currently are) to the back wall, so thought now would be a good time to add a powerhead if needed.

I'd definitely recommend popping the spray bars on the back wall, That way you'll not have to keep vaccing the substrate either as the flow from the bars in that placement will keep debris in suspension longer. The ten times flow rule is based on a tank with co2 ferts etc. Just putting the spray bars along the back wall you'll notice an instant improvement in flow, as the water has less distance to travel before it hits the front glass and down, then back along the substrate to the back and up. The way you currently have them, the flow has the length of the tank to travel. Try them along the back first. Then if you need a powerhead at a later date, just place it on the rear between the two bars facing forward. On my previous big tank, it was ridiculously stocked, yet I only ran two tetratec ex1200s but having the bars along the back I only had to do the once a week water change.
80l water change every other day? Wow that seems excessive.

wow. Are you friendly with your LFS? If you are and brutally honest then the majority of the time they will re-home some of your stock. My common plec (that soon became 10 inches in length) that was originally sold to me as a bristle nose was re-homed at the LFS and then adopted by one of the members of staff for being such a fine specimen!

Alastair said:
80l water change every other day? Wow that seems excessive.
It's mainly a discus tank, and they like good quality water ! I have my own water treatment plant in the garage :lol:

JamesD said:
wow. Are you friendly with your LFS?
You know you're spending too much time (and money) in there when you know all the staff by name and they know you !! Wouldn't it be great if MA did a clubcard scheme ...

Back