• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Normal MTS Behaviour?

Smells Fishy

I have 7 MTS and recently I've noticed one out and about on the glass during the day and evening when the lights are on twice now. Is this strange, because I thought they are night creatures, with there head in the gravel all day?

Test your water for anmonia and nitrites just in case. They climb the glass when there is a problem to happen...

Alternatively, when there isnt any fish in the tank the tend to be out and about just like any other water pet. In a shrimp only tank mine come out at feeding time when i drop food for the shrimp..But in a tank with any sort of fish I would almost never see them...they seem to be afraid of fish so if you see them out...something is not right water quality wise. In this case they will climb to the top.

Cheers man yeah thought it could be something wrong. Tbh all there shells are a bit pale and they don't have a point to there cones. So does that mean its a deficiency of some sort, I'm guessing calcium? My waters medium hard north Yorkshire btw. I thought because my waters a little hard the shell rot sort of thing wouldn't happen.

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

It has happened in my hard water....One of my tanks was suffering like that for ages...all snails turned white, hard water straight from the tap as in my other tanks....
Water in fish tanks is subjected to acidification by nitrification and other oxidising processes...The Ca++ gets used up and although a GH test will still show your usual reading the ions have been oxidised and are not useful to the inhabitants anymore. Gh tests can't distinguish between the two....Hence in an old not water changed tank one always gets a high Gh reading due to evaporation and top ups without water changes but it does not mean any of it is of use to the system and in reality the water is quite acidic, normally low Kh and even low Ph in time...What's your substrate like, perhaps it is not inert or is full of organic matter, or there's too much bioload acidifying the water... I'd try to do a good reset by several water changes and a good cleaning because that's what normally is the issue...

That's interesting, I love how you can just come across this sort of info like what you've said. The good thing about this hobby is that you don't have to go to college or university to be good at it, back in the day probably, but now with the internet and forums its easy to understand what needs to be done. I tried doing a bit of science as a hobby doing some chemistry and buying some kits to try experiments but I didn't really get in to it very well because I haven't got the education for it so I gave up. Anyway yeah I've took on board what you've said and made some water up for a water change tomorrow. My substrate is black gravel but a very fin layer and my fancy's gobble every inch of it up and syphon through it so organic matter there shouldn't be the problem and I cleaned my externals about 2 weeks ago.

Back