• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

[noob qn] Adding needle valve

ltsai

Hi,

I'm using the current regulator that is manual and single gauge and having trouble maintaining the bubble count.

IMG_8669.jpg

Is it possible to add a needle valve to the regulator or should I use an inline metering valve?

Or should I just throw this thing away and go for something better? Suggestions? Like UP-A165?

It's kind of hard to get any good regulators in Singapore for our purpose except maybe the discontinued JBJ?

Thanks!

I am about to pull apart a similar regulator to add a needle valve. To screw one in rather than running one inline the thread will be either BSPT or NPT with a size of 1/8. I have bought a needle valve that I'm waiting to arrive with an unknown 1/8 fitting. Note you can always find an adaptor I change Bspt to NPT or vice versa. I will also be adding a solenoid at somepoint if that interests you. Any questions just ask any.

Is it more cost effective to replace it with something like UP A-165? But I'm not too sure of the quality of its needle valve. A member here added a SMC inline metering valve.

I'm pretty sure the regulator thread is BSPT since I'm in Singapore, however is the exit also BSPT?

I would definitely want a solenoid and a good quality needle valve.

Without custom building your regulator there will always be a part that isn't great. If you want a quick and easy solution then buy that regulator as its good for what it is. I can't think of any factory made aquarium regulator that like the way it is. If I were to buy any one to use stock it would be that one tho.

Thanks. Looks like I may go for the UP-165 and get a better needle valve or add a needle valve + solenoid to the existing one.

Is there a particular needle valve that I should look for?

Anyone that fits and has as many turns from open to closed as possible. My TMC reg has something like 2.5-3 turns I think but my current DIY builds have 15 turns :)

Back