• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

non-bought wood

Dominic

Didnt know where else to put it so i'll put it here..

I was just wondering, have any of you ever aquascaped using wood and rocks that you have found out and about and not from shops etc? If you do it would be awesome if i could see the pictures :)

I use oak, beech and cherry wood. From 'clean' areas quick soak and scrub and plop into tank.

Loads have. Just don't put Cotswold stone in or paving slabs:)

Hi all,Camellia leaves are OK, so I should think dead wood would be all right. "Tea" is a Camellia species, so it shouldn't be toxic. You need to keep away from Rhododendron.

cheers Darrel

Hello Darrel,

What about Magnolia stellata leaves? I've hundreds In the garden going to waste. They look a bit like the catappa leaf when brown, which made me think.

Hi all,
do you know whether it releases many tannins?
The leaves do, so I would expect you would get some. With wood most of the tannin is usually in the bark, which is why Oak is used for tanning (thick bark - lots of tannins).
What about Magnolia stellata leaves? I've hundreds In the garden going to waste. They look a bit like the catappa leaf when brown, which made me think.
We've had a thread on these on apistogramma forums, and the answer for deciduous magnolias (like M. stellata) was that the leaves skeletonize fairly quickly, but work well <How to mimic deep leaf litter? | Page 2 | Apistogramma.com>. Have a look at Colin Dunlop's article < All the leaves are brown… — Seriously Fish>, best one about leaves I've seen.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, The leaves do, so I would expect you would get some. With wood most of the tannin is usually in the bark, which is why Oak is used for tanning (thick bark - lots of tannins). We've had a thread on these on apistogramma forums, and the answer for deciduous magnolias (like M. stellata) was that the leaves skeletonize fairly quickly, but work well <How to mimic deep leaf litter? | Page 2 | Apistogramma.com>. Have a look at Colin Dunlop's article < All the leaves are brown… — Seriously Fish>, best one about leaves I've seen.

cheers Darrel

Excellent, thanks Darrel. Will have a read.

Cheers,

Back