• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Nobody's perfect. Share the shame

Carbondioxide

Sponsor
UKAPS Team
As it's Friday, we thought we could hear some of the biggest mistakes you guys have made with your aquariums. It's important to laugh and learn about these things. Nobody is perfect and we should always be looking to learn more.

This photo shows what happens when you're running a high-power light unit on a planted tank without a timer. The big mistake was when this light was left ON for almost an entire week. Luckily this type of algae bloom is a mixture of cyanobacteria and slime algae which is easy to remove and get the tank back to normal. The lesson to learn here though is that a light unit should always be set up on a timer. Either use a socket timer or a light with a built-in timer and establish a regular photoperiod. Consistency plays a massive part in your plant growth - especially if you are running CO2 at the same time.

What's the biggest mistake you have made?
Untitled design-208.png

Carbondioxide

Sponsor
UKAPS Team
Boiled a tank when a hydor heater failed. Tank was so hot I couldn’t put my hands in and smelt like death.

Killed absolutely everything.
Oh, that's pretty heavy. I have heard so many people have issues like this with their heaters. I now personally change my heaters yearly to be safe. I know that's probably over the top but the thought of discovering a massacre like that scares me.

Wolf6

As a kid with a fishtank and some money to spare, and no internet yet, I went to a fish store and spotted a rope fish. It looked so cool and amazing, so I asked the owner if that fish went well with other fish. He said sure! So happy with my new purchase I added it to my tank with neons, guppies, platies and so forth. The first night it went for a walk where my mom nearly had a heart attack encountering it on the stairs on its way down. I quickly put it back in the tank, plugged all holes in my hood with filterfloss to prevent further escapes. Needless to say fish started disappearing one by one, till I caught the culprit with a neon tail still sticking out of his mouth. I quickly returned him to the store, who didnt even bother refunding my money or apologizing. Never went to that store again.
1632995932896.jpeg

When we moved into my parents house we inherited a 6ft tank. Knowing nothing about fish at the time they bought 12 Neons. The two enormous Angels ate them all bar one overnight... there was one hanging out of an Angels mouth when we turned the light on.

Kevin Eades

My biggest mistake was to get distracted trying to prime a filter whilst still filling the tank with a pump. Ended up with a shower on my head as the tank overflowed and a very unhappy partner as I mopped up the mess.

Carbondioxide

Sponsor
UKAPS Team
As a kid with a fishtank and some money to spare, and no internet yet, I went to a fish store and spotted a rope fish. It looked so cool and amazing, so I asked the owner if that fish went well with other fish. He said sure! So happy with my new purchase I added it to my tank with neons, guppies, platies and so forth. The first night it went for a walk where my mom nearly had a heart attack encountering it on the stairs on its way down. I quickly put it back in the tank, plugged all holes in my hood with filterfloss to prevent further escapes. Needless to say fish started disappearing one by one, till I caught the culprit with a neon tail still sticking out of his mouth. I quickly returned him to the store, who didnt even bother refunding my money or apologizing. Never went to that store again.
View attachment 174856
Oh my!! i made a similar mistake myself with this fish. The victim in my aquarium was a tiger barb.

Carbondioxide

Sponsor
UKAPS Team
Recently actually! I put my filter hoses on the wrong way round after cleaning and a fair few fish got sucked into the filter through the "outlet".

That was the last straw for me so I got double taps and electric taped the pipes so I'll never get confused again.
Yikes! That sounds pretty brutal. clever move with the tape though. it can be dark under that cabinet and in the midst of a hectic water change.

hypnogogia

I went to a fish store and spotted a rope fish. It looked so cool and amazing, so I asked the owner if that fish went well with other fish. He said sure! So happy with my new purchase I added it to my tank with neons, guppies, platies and so forth. The first night it went for a walk
I had the same - loved it, and bought one. Unfortunately mine climbed out and slithered under the fridge, where it was found dead the next morning :(