• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

No substrate

foxfish

I was wondering if it would be possible to grow Cryptocorynes without having all their roots in a substrate?
Trying to think outside the box for a new scape - I have been thinking it would be great to see the plants roots!
For Instance - could I fix a pot in mid water & allow the plants roots to grow out of the bottom?
Sort of underwater hydroponics!! :?

Dont see why not. The material in the pots when you buy it is just mineral wool and only really there to anchor the plant, as its inert from what I know. Providing the water have plenty of ferts I think it'd work fine. Whenever I've grown cryps they tend to produce there aerial roots anyway, that stick out from the substrate!

Sam

I have grown crypts on mineral wool, and they grew very well.

If you grow them on the water, with the roots exposed, I would say that you would need to dose enough nutrients on the water column.

Graeme had on the London exhibition last week a log with some crypts growing on it, and they looked healthy. :)

I've goot loads of Crypts wedged behind a rock in one of my tanks, absolutely non of the routes are in the substrate and they are doing fantastic!

Back