• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nitrites don’t drop to 0 in 24 hours

laurenb252

Hi all,

I’m currently cycling a 30L nano tank that will be for a home for a Betta. The filter in the tank has media from an established tank, and has been cycling for two weeks. The tank isn’t currently planted, just substrate (Fluval Stratum), filter, heater and the hardscape only. Plants are on the way however and should be in the tank within the next few days. I’ve been using Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride as an ammonia source.

The whole process has been quite quick, I’ve had ammonia and nitrite spikes with nitrates appearing in the tank. I read on the Dr Tims website that when the tank is dosed with 2ppm ammonia and the ammonia and nitrite levels are reading 0, 24 hours later, then the tank is cycled.

The ammonia drops to 0 in 24 hours, but the nitrite takes 48 hours to drop. Is this normal? My plan was to get the Betta on Sunday as I’ve currently got him reserved at my LFS, but I just want to know that the water chemistry is perfect for him first. Would it be ok to add a Betta later this week? I’m assuming that only having 1 fish plus a densely planted aquarium should result in ammonia levels under 2ppm anyway.

If anyone has any advice, I’d appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,

Lauren

It will only be safe to add your betta when the nitrites have dropped. This may well take more than 24 hours. Remember that the product will also contain a certain amount of marketing hype,

It will only be safe to add your betta when the nitrites have dropped. This may well take more than 24 hours. Remember that the product will also contain a certain amount of marketing hype,
I’ve seen a lot of information online about 2ppm of ammonia needing to be completely converted to nitrates before adding any livestock. Although it seems like things will be ok if I add the betta once the 48 hour period is up, as that’s how long it’s taking for nitrites to read 0?

I’ll keep an eye on the levels until the weekend to see if things remain stable.

If your filter media already has an active bacterial population because it’s from a matured filter, you don’t need to add ammonia, so I would stop adding that immediately.

Just keep the tank running, and plant is out as soon as your plants arrive.

In an ideal world you’d want to give it a couple of weeks before adding the betta, but as you have the matured filter you should be okay.

Back