• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nitrification not beginning in new tank, and PH/hardness mystery

I'm not sure.
I don't like the curves. Esp. accompanied with pH increasing. I suspect nitrification is not well-established, or in danger due to low redox in your substrate.
Time will show.

IMG_20230228_102540170_HDR.jpg
Really like what you've done with the tank - looks great. Lots of care and attention to detail gone into that.

In case of interest, I just looked back at my own tank notes - I set up my tank on 10 March last year (just planted it straight away with lights and everything - no idea about dark starts), first diatoms 17 April, added a couple of nerite snails 21 April, 15 May added first fish (bristlenosed pleco), 22 June added four corys. I'll see how I feel when I get to one year, but would be nice to add a group of trigonostigma hengeli. I've managed to keep most of my plants alive (apart from a bad run with my limnobium laevigatum), and starting to get the lighting dialled in and hitting my stride with the fertilisation regime. Still plenty of diatoms but at least my snails have what to eat! Anyway, as i said, very good looking tank you have, and a great variety of plants. Enjoy!

Hi all,

By way of an update, my test results were showing zero for ammonia and nitrites and the first inhabitants have gone in the tank.

About a week after planting I started to get a little bit of hair algae building up. I dialed back the light intensity, and put 2 nerite snails and 8 amano shrimp in the tank. The snails are fun, but move too slowly to do much, but the amano shrimp are voracious. I put the shrimp in at about 8 in the evening, and by the next morning all trace of algae and fur on the wood had gone. Unless my algae issues get worse, I'm going to have to start feeding the shrimp. I could certainly have brought less than 8, but they are fun to watch and my son enjoys them. They are particularly entertaining when they hang upside down from the floater roots.

They snails and the shrimp are both exposing all of the shortcomings in my hardscaping layout. The shrimp are gleefully moving the aquasoil around the tank, and the snails have uprooted two of the cryptocoryne parva clumps; something I can learn from if I ever do another tank.

Since increasing the bioload in the tank the ammonia test result has not been a clear 0. It is somewhere between 0 and 0.25 ppm, but the shrimp seem very happy. I'll keep an eye on it and wont add any fish until I'm confident there's not a problem.

With respect to the plants, a small section of the in-vitro bucephelandra has melted back to the rhizome, but everything else seems happy. The Rotala rotundifolia is shooting up, the new growth on the ludwigia super red is incredibly red, and even the plants I was a little more worried about (staurogynes repens and blyxa japonica) are doing well.

Thanks for all of your help getting to this point.

Nick

Back