• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nicks Malawi Venture

Nick16

hi all, hope you are all keeping well.

decided i dont want another planted tank for the minute, but a change. after thinking about predatory, shell dwellers, reef, oddball, i decided to go for none of those, but instead a malawi cichlid tank.

i shall start with the formalities and thank you's!

Big shout out to Tony (tonser) for cycling me some media and giving me some spares. pure generosity, hope you enjoy the nice bottle of red. :D

tank = 48x24x24, (115 US gal)
substrate = coral sand
decor = paving roock from local stone merchant, fake plants (sorry, but real ones will be munched), and a lump of redmooor for good measure
techy bits: 2x ex1200's, 1x fluval 4+, arcadia OTL 4x54w (only 2 to be used) koralia 2. 2x hydor eth 300w.

i havve laid the stones out in a very 'manurfactured' way, to enhance the caves per fish ratio, so that an agression is kept down.

today i have added 8x electric yellow lab (juvi's) who seem to be settling in well, and a bit lost in their tank, probably 20x the size of the shop tank!

IMGP6441.jpg

testing tank for leaks etc.
IMGP6447.jpg

DSC01695.jpg

DSC01706.jpg

DSC01701.jpg

DSC01698.jpg

plenty of space for little fish to hide away!
DSC01709.jpg

as usual comments/suggestions/opinions are always welcome.

cheers

Looks like an ancient Mayan pyramid. Those fish are gonna like it in there with all the nooks and crannies. And you can show off how you've got no algae at all :lol:

Actually you can keep real plants with Malawis - especially labs as they have mouths designed to pick insects and other items out of the Aufwuchs on the rocks. You just need to start with tougher plants and then you can introduce softer ones then - java ferns and anubias will be ideal to start with.

I don't like the rocks myself - too man-made - but they make a nice effect.

i left uni, so im back at home now... had an empty tank so i went for it...

thing is.. attaching the anubias and JF is going to be an issue as all the rocks are glued together and there arent any nooks i can squeeze them in! and i cant glue them underwater... options?

perfect! i hear you, i can then tuck the slate behind some of the lumps of rock which will also hide the rhizomes just leeaving the leaves to show! cheers mate. excellent shout.

watch this space!

I've tied java ferns onto pieces of rock and dropped them amongst rockwork, but I wouldn't use slate unless you have nothing else as the ferns and anubias can't get their roots to attach to it. Try some rock with a rougher surface if you can. If you have to use slate then tie them on with fishing line that won't rot to hold them on permanently.

anubias been in there a couple of days. meant to be £3.95 a pot, the day i go in there £1.95 each. thats what im talking about :lol: bought 5!!

the labs have just had a huge feed of bloodworm and artemia and have massive stomachs. mr pies goes fishy!

a quick update. got myself some young fish to grow out ready for the main tank.

Afra Hara:

AfraFry.jpg

picture of the dad:

AfraHaraMale.jpg

maingano fry:

MainganoFry.jpg

picture of the dad:

MainganoMale.jpg

cheers

its still got all the fake plants in there, ive just added 3 anubias as well.

i cant be bothered wiith all the ferts, cichlid munching and general maintainence of real plants at the moment.

il try and get a fts in the next day or two.

just me and you following this one! haha

here is the shot of the tank the fry are in. (obviously its only a temporary grow out)

2 slate caves and other larger wood effect one.
plus 2 patches of low level fake plants which they love to nip in and out of.

IMGP6504.jpg

IMGP6507.jpg

thats the best shot i can get, must have took close on 50! obviously its of the maingano, still trying to get a shot of the afra hara.

It's looking a lot better as the plants and algae grow in. What species are in there at the moment? I can tell the Labidochromis caeruleus 'Lion's Cove' but what are the others? Have the mbuna showed any interest in the real plants? Not tempted to try some other ones? Think if you planted stands of vallis at the two ends it'd look really good. I've got a large clump in my Tangyikan tank and it does really well in the harder water. I like the wood in there too - not many Malawi tanks put any in - is it changing the water quality at all?

ps. Acei is the other species. (yellow tail)
plus a couple of BN's.

(melanochromis maingano and cynotilapia afra hara are the fry in the grow out)

havent nibbled the anubias as yet, but the fish are small at the moment, and the wood has been fine, no problems at all, however it is quite old, ive used it in a couple of planted set ups so has been soaked for probably 1.5 years +. so all the leaching is done!

im tempted and i do have some planters (business card holders). i might try it, but i dont have any soil or ferts so it would mean more expenditure.

Back