• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nice sand - UK?

ZeeDeveel

Went to Maidenhead Aquatics today and they literally didn't have any sand. None. It was all either coral sand or fine gravel. I couldn't believe it. All their demo tanks were full of this beautiful white powder sand and they didn't even seem to sell a single bag of decent sand.

Anyway I've ordered 2 bags of sand so far online, one turned up and it was a really fine gravel. The other was advertised as white and turned up grey.

Can anyone please recommend a nice fine sand? Light coloured or white but not pure white. I only need about 2kg.

Thank you!

I was going to say River sand, but maybe not the colour you want.

20220109_234151.jpg

Went to Maidenhead Aquatics today and they literally didn't have any sand. None. It was all either coral sand or fine gravel. I couldn't believe it. All their demo tanks were full of this beautiful white powder sand and they didn't even seem to sell a single bag of decent sand.

Anyway I've ordered 2 bags of sand so far online, one turned up and it was a really fine gravel. The other was advertised as white and turned up grey.

Can anyone please recommend a nice fine sand? Light coloured or white but not pure white. I only need about 2kg.

Thank you!

I went through a similar decision making process - though perhaps not the same colour shade you are looking for - but you may find this thread has some useful input:

Is that because it's too dense?
It's just not like sand. It's granular and all I can say is just like sugar. It doesn't flatten well, is hideous to work with, and sickly to look at. It has none of the qualities of sand. I had to chuck it all out. One decision I made that I glad of is using "proper" simple sand in my community tank. The corys like it and it's quiet easy to replace, hoover off of, and holds plants reasonably well. I'll never make a perfect carpet of green so I personally don't like the look of the popular substrates that look like charcoal beads. Just saying. I got the aquasand on amazon.

Back