• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newly settled in Dundee - water quality?

kschyff

Hi All,
I have relocated to the UK (specifically Dundee) and would like to know if the tap water here is suitable for easy and medium category plants?

Hi All,
I have relocated to the UK (specifically Dundee) and would like to know if the tap water here is suitable for easy and medium category plants?
You should be able to get a water report online from your local water supplier with all the key details.

Thank you @hypnogogia. The water report is available, but it has so many elements on it I am not sure if the other elements reported are within accepted thresholds. Which are the key elements to watch out for? I have attached screenshots of the ones I know should be more or less important. The 7th column is the mean of the readings taken. I can't see calcium and magnesium though - or did I miss that?

EDIT: Found another report which states that the hardness is just under 12mg calcium and just under 2mg for magnesium in 2021. Hopefully things are still the same.

Attachments

• water4.png
    water4.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 63
  • water3.png
    water3.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 62
  • water2.png
    water2.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 65
  • water1.png
    water1.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
and would like to know if the tap water here is suitable for easy and medium category plants?
The tap water in Scotland is generally considered to be soft, so should be perfect for growing the plants you have in mind, and most likely a lot of the plants you don't have in mind 😉

@kschyff might be easier to attach the whole water report so that we can see column headings. The low Mg suggests soft water, as @John q has said. Good for growing plants. The other one of interest is nitrate levels as nitrates are good for plants, and phosphates (although there is no requirement to report that).

Back