• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie wanting to go to planted

Kam Sandhu

Hi All

New user to the planted forum.

Just after some general advice.

This my current tank, pretty lame.

20140810_121533.jpg

I want to convert this to a planted tank. Its Juwel Rio 180, standard 2 x 45w T5 bulbs and standard filter.

I have done some reading and wanted some opinions.

I was looking to get Eco Complete Planting Substrate with Unipac Black sand on top. The plants I was looking at where Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Vallisneria americana and maybe Utricularia graminifolia.

I would like a centre piece like a fake bonsai tree and some rocks.

Would my current setup be ok to do this?

Would I need to add CO2? I am confused about this.

Any input would be great.

I forgot to mention the tank has been established for over two years and currently has a few fish.

Thank you
Kam

Last edited:
Hi Kam,

Glad to see you haven't been tempted to shove a load of huge fish in your sizeable tank; it's nice to see small fish given a decent amount of swimming room.

Eco Complete doesn't require capping with another kind of substrate, but can be an option to save on cost and for aesthetic considerations. The concern with using Unipac Black sand on top is that the smaller grains are likely to sink through the larger Eco Complete. Something to consider.

L. brasiliensis and V. americana will do just fine in most conditions. However, U. graminifolia is quite a fussy plant, and probably best avoided until you've got everything spot on in the tank. Have you considered some stem plants such as something from the Hygrophila or Rotala species to create some contrast?

Decorations are entirely your own decision, but if you wanted something a little more natural than a fake bonsai tree, maybe you could consider using wood and Taxiphyllum species to make a living specimen?

CO2 is beneficial to all plant life in nearly every circumstance, but ultimately it's your choice. CO2 means more frequent trimming/water changes, necessitation of greater flow (more expense on big filters/powerheads), and the purchase and daily dosing of fertilisers (EI dry salts/solutions). The up-side of this is healthier, more lush plant growth, and hopefully less algae. Adding CO2 creates it's own problems, as well as curing others. Have a read of this article to better inform yourself of what's involved: http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=setting-up-a-higher-tech-planted-tank

The alternative is to use soil as a base layer of the substrate. This has it's own list of positives and negatives. Get yer chops round this: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-soil-substrate-planted-tank-a-how-to-guide.18943/

Both methods will reap good results with the plants you have mentioned (bar the U. graminifolia), albeit at different speeds. It depends entirely on how involved you want the whole thing to be.

Best of luck :thumbup:

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply.

After your comment about the sand I think I will switch to gravel.

I like the idea of using wood with a Taxiphyllum species, I will definitely try that.

I'm a believer of if you're going to do it, do it properly. So I was going to go down the CO2 route and use something like Fluval Pressurised CO2 Kit.

After reading the high tech setup link I have some concerns.

Would the internal Juwel Filter be sufficient, would it produce enough flow? I really didnt want to replace it.
Would Fluval Sea CP2 Circulation Pump 1600LPH and the internal filter be enough?

Last edited:
Basicaly i would advise to go low tech/low energy at first, gives more room for mistakes. It will take a bit longer and you can't have absolutely all plants, but with some patience you can get very nice results. For plants you can use i would look at Tropica's "easy" plants range (found on the tropica site).
Later on you could start with adding CO2 and gradually increasing light. This way around should be more succesfull then if you start high tech.
If you are scared of it, just using plain gravel/riversand works good too, you just have to fertilise the plants regularly (using dry ferts is the cheapest way)
Have a look at low tech section on the forum and at low tech tanks in the "featured " section like the one from Alastair and BigTom.

Basicaly i would advise to go low tech/low energy at first, gives more room for mistakes. It will take a bit longer and you can't have absolutely all plants, but with some patience you can get very nice results. For plants you can use i would look at Tropica's "easy" plants range (found on the tropica site).
Later on you could start with adding CO2 and gradually increasing light. This way around should be more succesfull then if you start high tech.
If you are scared of it, just using plain gravel/riversand works good too, you just have to fertilise the plants regularly (using dry ferts is the cheapest way)
Have a look at low tech section on the forum and at low tech tanks in the "featured " section like the one from Alastair and BigTom.

I didnt want to go low tech, just because I like to do things properly. But I guess maybe I should take a step back and start slowly.

My only concern is the internal filter, would it be ok for low tech? It is rated at 600lph.

Yup. low techs can do with less flow, In high tech you should strive to 10x the tank volume, low tech 2-4x can work.

do things properly
According to who? there is no properly. There are realy nice low tech tanks i would give (almost) my right arm for, and there are realy nice high tech tanks. (hich tech tanks are like balancing on a tight rope, everything has to be working together perfectly not to fall of, low tech is more like a stroll in the park)

Yup. low techs can do with less flow, In high tech you should strive to 10x the tank volume, low tech 2-4x can work.

According to who? there is no properly. There are realy nice low tech tanks i would give (almost) my right arm for, and there are realy nice high tech tanks. (hich tech tanks are like balancing on a tight rope, everything has to be working together perfectly not to fall of, low tech is more like a stroll in the park)

I guess properly wasnt the right word to use, I just wanted all the bells and whistles.

Right, time draw up a shopping list!![DOUBLEPOST=1407828630][/DOUBLEPOST]Would this lot be ok?

Caribsea Eco Complete Substrate
Black Gravel
Some wood
Taxiphyllum 'Flame' to attach to the wood.
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis>> would this give me a carpet look?
Vallisneria americana
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Rocks.
And dry salts.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
If you're definitely wanting to use pressurised CO2, forget about the hugely overpriced kits and look into fire extinguisher CO2. It's basically the same thing, but refills are considerably cheaper. You can get regulators, solenoids, and all the other bits and pieces you will need from the sponsors section of the forum. High tech can be a right ballache for a beginner, but if you're willing to experience some setbacks (sometimes major), then you will reap the rewards. Just be sure to do plenty of research first.

Low tech wise, your shopping list seems pretty much complete. If you can stretch to getting another pump for circulation, do so. Plants always love a bit of extra flow.

If you're definitely wanting to use pressurised CO2, forget about the hugely overpriced kits and look into fire extinguisher CO2. It's basically the same thing, but refills are considerably cheaper. You can get regulators, solenoids, and all the other bits and pieces you will need from the sponsors section of the forum. High tech can be a right ballache for a beginner, but if you're willing to experience some setbacks (sometimes major), then you will reap the rewards. Just be sure to do plenty of research first.

Low tech wise, your shopping list seems pretty much complete. If you can stretch to getting another pump for circulation, do so. Plants always love a bit of extra flow.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I think I will stick to low tech for now and see how it goes.

I have already upgraded the internal pump from 600 lph to 1000 lph.

Hi,welcome to the forum fellow Rio user.

Floating plants to block some of that high light.

IME the dilemma that you face going low tec,is the T5 lights that you/we have.As above is one option,however the internal Juwel filter ,does I good job of sucking these into the grill.
Not saying you can't make it work,just something to consider.
Good luck
Epic gravel in that pic btw :)

Back