• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Newbie question about filling the tank.

Lee Sweeting

Just a quick question, and probably a silly one. I'm just starting a brand new planted tank and was wondering if i need to treat the water with water conditioner before i put it in the tank or can i fill the tank and then add the water conditioner? Obviously the plants will be in the tank before i fill for the first time. I know i need to condition the water before it goes in the tank when i am doing water changes, so it doesn't affect any beneficial bacteria. I just wasn't sure if untreated tap water would affect the plants, obviously it would be a lot easier, when filling the tank for the first time to add the water conditioner after the tank has filled.

thanks,

Lee.

You can easily just add a bulk dose with the first lot of water and then just fill the tank up, that's a really easy way.

Put conditioner in tank, turn on hose pipe and point at where you added conditioner. Leave to fill. Result!

It's worth putting a plastic pot/sheet of bubble wrap/plate under the hosepipe exit so you don't dig a hole in your substrate.

Put conditioner in tank, turn on hose pipe and point at where you added conditioner. Leave to fill. Result!

It's worth putting a plastic pot/sheet of bubble wrap/plate under the hosepipe exit so you don't dig a hole in your substrate.

sfjo.jpg

voila! Heres one i prepared earlier 🙂
Water conditioner added just after the hose started. Actually i added half dose until the tank was half filled, then the rest.

Cheerio,
Ady.

Back