• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie needs help please.

MOBYS

Seedling
Hi,just returning to fishkeeping after a long break.The tank,fish,etc are no problem.So l thought I would go for the full monty and try plants.Iam the stage of giving up.My aim just a simple low tech tank,no co2,and a few easy plants that actually grow.Nearly everything seem to be not healthy.Been reading up a bit,so I've tried seachem flourish and small doses of excel.I have no great knowledge like some here of names etc,but I will try.So I have several valls,about four amazon sword types and a couple of Anubius tied to driftwood.None are doing well.The tank is 85 litres that come with leds.The leds do seem quite bright(marina).Iam in London so I have hard water.I keep the lights 9 hours a day.Most of plants are yellowing with brown patches.
Any help or tips would greatly appreciated as I just seem to be throwing money at it with no results.Thks Dave.

Last edited:
How long have the plants been in the tank? If they are fairly new, give them a couple of weeks.

Stick to flourish and excel. Any change in ferts/lights/CO2 will show results after two weeks

Thks for your reply.The plants been there about four weeks now.Maybe I'am a bit impatient?.What I find frustrating is after reading many knowledgable threads here that are impressive,all I want is a very simple set up with growing plants and preferably green.
Thks Dave. :lol:

Ok Thks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    845.3 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    812.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
What sort of fish stocking is there? I am no expert but to me that looks like you could be low on nitrogen.
It's quite well stocked really with a mixture of ottos,corys .xrays tetras,rainbows,wcmm,harlequins.Thks.

Hi Mobys, In my limited knowledge of growing plants in hard water If I was you, I would reduce my light intensity/duration to 7 hrs and most of all make sure I had a nutrient rich substrate.

Forget about growing anubias for now, they are a lot more fussy than you would believe.

Stick with swords, try crypts and most of all, put root tabs in the substrate.

From my experience, healthy root growth will equal a healthy plant ( or a least a better chance of one).

Also, make sure you keep the tank clean of old decaying plant material and don't be reluctant to remove poor/damaged leaves from your plants, pruning plants helps growth.

Thks Alan,I will try root tabs and reduce the lighting seems to make sense.
Cheers Dave.

Thks Alan,I will try root tabs and reduce the lighting seems to make sense.
Cheers Dave.

Just a bit of an update,reduced lighting to 8hrs and removed all bad leaves.I added some root tabs seems to be lots of new growth from the base of plants already.So far so good.
Thks Dave.

Back