• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape New Wood - Ideas Needed!

Zervais

Seedling
Hello all,

After getting involved in aquascaping a bit more, I really want to redo my 200L tank. I found this bit of wood I love but now I’m at a loss of how to make it look good in my tank. There’s space either side of it which I don’t know how to fill. I’m currently trying to find inspiration but I could really do with some personalised help too. I’d like to try and reuse my plants as much as I can but am willing to get more if anyone has any ideas. I’ve also ordered 15kg of grey mountain rock, but don’t know how to position this (around the wood?).

The first photo is my wood, the second is it in the same size tank in the store, and the third is my current setup.

I’m using the Fluval plant 3.0 (at around 40% currently) and am running co2 too. I’m battling BBA and a bit of brown algae on some of the plants but it’s slowly going since I upped my fertilisers and added in the co2 system.

I can’t identify all of the plants, only really their main genus, which is a bit of a mistake because now I have no idea how big some will grow! If anyone can help identify some of my plants, that would be great too. I know my larger leaf plant is hygrophilia corymbosa, and I’ve got multiple crytocoryne. There’s also an Amazon sword in there, Alternanthera Reineckii, and a badly damaged anubias and Java ferns I think I’m just going to have to throw away. I’m using Seachem Flourite black sand as my substrate. Finally I have a fish who loves to chill in their cave, so I either need to encoroporate that back into my aqua scape, use a chocolate terracotta pot I’ve got, or create somewhere he can feel safe.

Many thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 42FADF79-EB0D-4407-9B8F-0C94646C0459.jpeg
    42FADF79-EB0D-4407-9B8F-0C94646C0459.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 310
  • 766B81AA-15EA-48F4-9FE6-C2619FA3D96C.jpeg
    766B81AA-15EA-48F4-9FE6-C2619FA3D96C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 171
  • 20159E89-D627-485E-8FB8-45703869B258.jpeg
    20159E89-D627-485E-8FB8-45703869B258.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 177
It's a lovely piece of wood. For me it needs elevating a bit, so you might be able to do that with some of the stones (infilling any gaps with substrate). I'd also be tempted to angle it like you have it in the out of tank shot, placing it towards the left of the tank, so the long, elevated branches on the right of it sit on the third of the tank visually (Google photography and rule of thirds if this is a new one on you). Hope that makes sense!

Hi,
One thing I have noticed with your current set up is that you have a circulation pump directed from left to right which will invariably be interfering with the flow from your spray bar.
I think it would be far better to have it mounted on the back to one side of the spray bar, pointing forward augmenting flow, ideally with another pump on the other side to mirror the effect, although I do not know your filter's output.
Cheers!

Back