• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to planted tanks.

SpringerRob

Seedling
Hi all.

I've kept fish for many years, but never really used live plants before, I've tried one or twice, but in my ignorance they've always died fairly quickly.

I've got a 10 gallon tank that I've used in the past for breeding Cory's, and was planning on using it again for that purpose, then by chance I came across a video about setting up a low tech 10 gallon tank.

I watched the next three videos in the series, and decided that I'll give it go.

Looking around for more information I across this forum, and here I am, busy reading and trying to soak up information before I start.

Hi all,
I've got a 10 gallon tank that I've used in the past for breeding Cory's, and was planning on using it again for that purpose, then by chance I came across a video about setting up a low tech 10 gallon tank
You can use it for both.

Sand substrate, some structural leaf litter and low tech plants. If you have Corydoras pygmaeus, Corydoras panda or Corydoras hastatus (and there are probably others where you get fry with the parents present) you can have a permanent set-up, other species (egg eating) you can just add the female and two males once they're conditioned, and removed them afterwards.

If you have a look at the Tropica <"easy" category of plants>" (set the difficulty category to "easy") it gives you ones that should do.

I'll assume you have soft water, and plants that do well for me are Anubias barteri, Bolbitis heudelotii, Cryptocoryne x willisii, Ceratopteris thalictroides, Java moss and Limnobium laevigatum.

Cryptocyne spp.
root well, so won't be dug up by the Cories, and <"come in a good range of sizes and leaf shapes">.

If you want to be able to remove the plants, you can just use floating plants and ferns, moss, Anubais etc as epiphytes glued to bits of wood or rounded cobbles.

Have a look at the <"Duckweed Index"> it is a simple technique for feeding low tech plants.

cheers Darrel

Welcome to UKAPS. My Bronze Corys have yesterdayspawned all over the glass, because of the cold snap I added a tank heater the other day just to keep it from dropping to low if the central heating was off usually the other way about cooler water starts them off.The White Clouds seem indifferent but the barbs seem to be having a gorge or two! Added some stem plants to hide the glass.

Back