• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank light upgrade - Twinstar or ONF

Josh0308

Seedling
DFB34118-3C3D-46CE-AB86-3115DD7A5A6E.jpeg
I’ve recently set up a new tank, 80cm x 40x 45. Everything is going well but judging by the way the plays are growing the light isn’t powerful enough. I’ve got a Fluval 3.0 plant light 60cm and the stem plants are growing pretty leggy and stretching towards the centre and some of the mid/foregrounds are struggling. I’ve struggled to find a light at 80cm and unfortunately can’t fit a 90 due to being in and alcove. Thinking of changing to a twinstar or onf ceiling hung light but wondered which would give the best light and also best spread of light for the tank? Anybody got an idea? I’ve attached a few photos to show progress

D3ED9064-379D-48A1-BEDE-06A4D7B3BB8C.jpeg
03353001-46DD-4B15-B3A5-42834F06E0C0.jpeg

Hardscape is manzanita and mini landscape rock. Probio substrate. Plants used are ludwigia super red, bacopa, rotala green and orange juice, some cripts, lobelia cardinalis, epiphytes - various buce’s and hygrophila, and then helanthium tenelum and pogostemon helferi in the foreground.
A lot of the cripts have melted, lobelia seems to be struggling, as does the pogostemon helferi and some of the smaller buce’s seem pretty weak too.
This is my first ever go at aquascaping so this all may be normal, but some help from people that know better is always good

Hi there
First of all tank looks really nice great lil scape

How old is it ?

So to start you will get leggy growth of the stems to start it's the trimming and pruning that will make them become bushy in time patients is key to any scape
pogostemon helferi takes a good couple of months to settle
Most if not all your plants will have been grown in nurserys out of water and they will have to transition in to water
Cripts always melt well mostly that's why a lot of people cut away the leaves and and just plant the root system
Buces are susceptible to new systems and some add these after the tank has matured for a while

I can see a nice lime green drop checker and no live stock I'd push the co2 up while it safe to help plants transition from 400ppm co2 down to 30ppm

When the time comes to trim your stems remember where you cut from 2 new shoots will grow and replant the tops to help it fill out cut the low to give the new shoots room

As for lighting if you do want to upgrade the best light for your money IMO is the twinstar 600 you can get the sa version that can be adjusted but would also look nice hung from the celing this is how I have mine over my 800 tank if you want I can take a pic and show you let me know

Cheers
J

Back