• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank EA aquascaper vs 90P

Deano3

Hi everyone i have sort of convinced the wife to let me have a larger tank my living room isnt the biggest so thinking of a 90cm, was going to go 60 but if i go straight for the 90 i wont have to upgrade , i am unsure of ada 90p and cabinet prices anyone any idea ?

Dont really want to build another cabinet for 90p so of the 90p too expensive i may go down the aquascaper 900 route as tank and cabinet a good price and only slights different dimensions.

Does anyone that owns these tanks have any opinions ?

Hardware i will more than likely go twinstar light and oase 600 maybe however this wont provide 10x turnover but george uses only 1 on his 1200 so should be large enough surely ? And also co2 will be pressurised hopefully dont use a lot more co2 than my 45p, once all set up i will be getting rid of the 45p to cover some of the costs.

Thanks and opinions welcome
Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I've got a AS900 with "aqua frame" cabinet and using an oase BM600T.

I'm very happy with it all, the cabinet doors/walls are pretty solid and feel nice to open and close. Big bonus was the cabinet came already built so didn't have to spend ages making sure i've built it properly. The cabinet also has optional/additional leveling feet which can be screwed in if needed. Only negative for me would be that theres no top panel of the cabinet so the tank rests on the "aqua frame", this makes me feel pretty uneasy as the middle isn't supported and i'm very paranoid about failure or bowing - but obviously they know what they're doing so it's just me being weird 😂....

I've got a AS900 with "aqua frame" cabinet and using an oase BM600T.

I'm very happy with it all, the cabinet doors/walls are pretty solid and feel nice to open and close. Big bonus was the cabinet came already built so didn't have to spend ages making sure i've built it properly. The cabinet also has optional/additional leveling feet which can be screwed in if needed. Only negative for me would be that theres no top panel of the cabinet so the tank rests on the "aqua frame", this makes me feel pretty uneasy as the middle isn't supported and i'm very paranoid about failure or bowing - but obviously they know what they're doing so it's just me being weird ....
Thats for that mate does the mat go directly ontop of the frame then then tank ?

You would have thought they would have added a top but as sported on the frame soppose its unnecessary as i was a little skeptical aswel but like you say it obviously works as they know a lot more than me haha.

Is the 600 sufficient and create good flow ?

Any pics of cabinet etc and what style did you go for again ? It says you can change outside design if ever wanted but not sure were would buy the pannels

Thanks dean

Thats for that mate does the mat go directly ontop of the frame then then tank ?

You would have thought they would have added a top but as sported on the frame soppose its unnecessary as i was a little skeptical aswel but like you say it obviously works as they know a lot more than me haha.

Is the 600 sufficient and create good flow ?

Any pics of cabinet etc and what style did you go for again ? It says you can change outside design if ever wanted but not sure were would buy the pannels

Thanks dean

The mat is stuck on to the bottom of the tank already, you just have place the tank on the outer frame. I'll send a photo of the inside of the cabinet as theres like 1 on the net, so that's why i was shocked when there was no top panel. I have the anthracite grey version which is great and smooth looking.

Yes the BM600 is enough for flow IMO but depends on your hardscape design i guess, i would assume it would be great with an island style scape. I do have a little powerhead in the opposite corner but its only like 400-500lph so it doesn't batter the rotala.

Hi Dean.
I guess the main factors are budget, cabinet style/colour options and size. If budget is no issue then the choice is simply aesthetics within your living environment both how it looks and how it fits. The ea is 5cm wider which is really nice for scaping, but only if it fits your living area as it does make the tank and cabinet encroach into a room significantly more if space is tight.
Maybe cut out a cardboard floor plan template, maybe even make a full cabinet size template to get a feel for how it fits within the space, it will help visualise the impact and give you a better idea. You could rule the ea out immediately if it simply feels to big.
The ea tanks do have more cabinet colours, but again it’s all down to the individual and the budget.
Cheerio,

Hi Dean.
I guess the main factors are budget, cabinet style/colour options and size. If budget is no issue then the choice is simply aesthetics within your living environment both how it looks and how it fits. The ea is 5cm wider which is really nice for scaping, but only if it fits your living area as it does make the tank and cabinet encroach into a room significantly more if space is tight.
Maybe cut out a cardboard floor plan template, maybe even make a full cabinet size template to get a feel for how it fits within the space, it will help visualise the impact and give you a better idea. You could rule the ea out immediately if it simply feels to big.
The ea tanks do have more cabinet colours, but again it’s all down to the individual and the budget.
Cheerio,
Totally agree i was going to do that and i know thats my only concern the 5cm doesnt sound much but may look a lot.

It is going on the left were you walk into room aswel so you will walk past the side of it. Would love a 90p but unsure of the cabinet prices or do i got DIY again and make my own. Anyone have any idea of prives of the ada cabinets or a general idea ?

I will get in touch with horizon this week for prices i think as they can get them in. Start putting a list together.

You think the oase 600t be good enough mate and i will get the powerful twinstar 900. Still trying to sort problems on my tank seem to showing some deficiencies since started dosing only 1 pump of tropica so may up to 2 again.

Dean

The mat is stuck on to the bottom of the tank already, you just have place the tank on the outer frame. I'll send a photo of the inside of the cabinet as theres like 1 on the net, so that's why i was shocked when there was no top panel. I have the anthracite grey version which is great and smooth looking.

Yes the BM600 is enough for flow IMO but depends on your hardscape design i guess, i would assume it would be great with an island style scape. I do have a little powerhead in the opposite corner but its only like 400-500lph so it doesn't batter the rotala.
Any pics of cabinet mate, priced up the ada but the cabinet is over £1k just too much for me so think the aquascaper is the way forward plus like idea of pre build cabinet.

What colour dod you go for ? White is easy choice as goes anywere but my living room has grey wood floor and wood doors so white and grey scheme really thinking of the concrete colour maybe hard to find pics online.

Dean

Thinking of putting it were that mat is also what colour is the cabinet i have a picture of is it the concrete colour?

Thanks dean
8bf9e62e4576e4765f976b7bd6c8d897.jpg
b3a45d70b5a7d8a80219cca1f5dd7ecd.jpg

Totally agree i was going to do that and i know thats my only concern the 5cm doesnt sound much but may look a lot.

It is going on the left were you walk into room aswel so you will walk past the side of it. Would love a 90p but unsure of the cabinet prices or do i got DIY again and make my own. Anyone have any idea of prives of the ada cabinets or a general idea ?

I will get in touch with horizon this week for prices i think as they can get them in. Start putting a list together.

You think the oase 600t be good enough mate and i will get the powerful twinstar 900. Still trying to sort problems on my tank seem to showing some deficiencies since started dosing only 1 pump of tropica so may up to 2 again.

Dean

I believe a ADA wood cabinet for a 90P would retail at around 8-900£ in the UK.

Any pics of cabinet mate, priced up the ada but the cabinet is over £1k just too much for me so think the aquascaper is the way forward plus like idea of pre build cabinet.

What colour dod you go for ? White is easy choice as goes anywere but my living room has grey wood floor and wood doors so white and grey scheme really thinking of the concrete colour maybe hard to find pics online.

Dean

Went for anthracite grey, will post some pics in a bit mate sorry i totally forgot.

I believe a ADA wood cabinet for a 90P would retail at around 8-900£ in the UK.
Even still thats too much for cabinet alone for me or would have went that route. cheers for that.

Dean

I think i like the concrete grey, also will tank be ok near a radiator well 40cm or so away as i am putting were my current tank is.

Thanks dean

radiator well 40cm or so away
That’s close enough to have some effect on tank temperature but should just mean that your aquarium heater runs less frequently

I wouldn’t choose “concrete grey” for floor aesthetics (furniture contrasting with floor is usually more appealing (and what our eye is “trained” for) but if it’s your preferred cabinet ... :)

That’s close enough to have some effect on tank temperature but should just mean that your aquarium heater runs less frequently

I wouldn’t choose “concrete grey” for floor aesthetics (furniture contrasting with floor is usually more appealing (and what our eye is “trained” for) but if it’s your preferred cabinet ... :)
Thats alto, like i say my living room is grey themed and white i could go gloss white or concrete grey think them are only 2 that will go tbh, never seen in person, have you seen them colours in person ?

Thanks dean

Sadly not in the UK so I don’t have to make this choice ;)

It would be much easier if able to see color options in person - or even decent photos of the finished cabinets

Decided defently the AS900 in concrete grey with twinstar 900 SA ( is this a good light for reds aswel) with biomaster 600 thermo.

Think i may try sticking with in tank diffuser rather than inline.

Harscape will be some of my large manzinita wood and most likely mini landscape rock to keep price down as it all costs a lot haha.

I need help as have no idea what pump to buy to pump water from bucket in sink into the tank ? And should i buy a few taps for hoses ? Probably be a lot more i havnt even thought of like thermometers and larger hose and lilly pipes and more but may get tank and light then wait till next payed etc to get soil and other bits etc really looking forward to a large scape.

Dean

Hi everyone want to start getting bits ordered soon, do many people have any experience with the twinstar sa lights ? Are they good for reds etc and better than just the s models?

Also what do you think is best for co2 i have enjoyed the intank diffuser on the 45 but thinking in larger tank may be harder to evenly distribute the co2 so not sure to go inline. I used to find the inline pipes keep coming loose and was always paranoid it leaked so intank eliminated that worry.

Also need help on what pump to buy to pump water from sink to tank and if its easier buying some enheim taps for water changes.

All opinions and help be great
Thanks dean

Twinstar S and SA only differ by tank mounting base - see photos on AG site

If going with an intank diffuser, I’d look at placing 2 diffusers - a proper manifold would be the best way to do this
(though I did run my 90 x 45 just fine with a single Tropica diffuser - soft acidic water and limited hardscape)

I don’t know about Eheim taps for water changes - I have a Python System and actually removed the ON/OFF switch

I believe George Farmer mentions which pump he uses to return from tap (as does @ Richard40 “I use an Oase 1000 pump which pumps water from a bucket in my kitchen sink (primed) straight back into the tank to do large water changes. ” )

Twinstar S and SA only differ by tank mounting base - see photos on AG site

If going with an intank diffuser, I’d look at placing 2 diffusers - a proper manifold would be the best way to do this
(though I did run my 90 x 45 just fine with a single Tropica diffuser - soft acidic water and limited hardscape)

I don’t know about Eheim taps for water changes - I have a Python System and actually removed the ON/OFF switch

I believe George Farmer mentions which pump he uses to return from tap (as does @ Richard40 “I use an Oase 1000 pump which pumps water from a bucket in my kitchen sink (primed) straight back into the tank to do large water changes. ” )
Thanks for that alto i currently have the twinstar e is the sa a lot more powerful and have good colour for red stems etc ?

I may end up going for inline for ease on the larger tank as worried wont get good distribution.

And i will check out georges vid and see what pump he uses thanks mate just trying to get everything sorted before go ahead and order

Thanks again
Dean

Hi dean I use a cheap pond pump.from Amazon 1500lph think it was like a tenner and it's really good
The S light is loads more.powerfull than the E I have both and you can see the difference much better colour rendition on the S version alto is correct the SA is just an adjustable mount to the A that is set to lenth both would fit the 900
But there are other options in the same price bracket for example @CooKieS loves his vivid 2 apparently it's a lot stronger and better for reds not used it myself but a option to consider maybe
I would use inline for co2 in a tank that size would be a much better way to distribute the bubbles you could always by a small cheap filter to use as a reactor like @Zeus. In Olympus is callings thread also if worried about the inline coming lose nothing a couple of jublie clips wont fix
As for taps I dont think you need them there is a chance they might lower the flow and you would still need to take Lilly of to clean them.
But also if it was me and I had the choice I would go with the Ada 90p maybe works out more expensive but it's ADA and your cabinet builds are good so would probably work out cheaper and it's still an ADA
Hope this helps cheers
J

Back