• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Tank Cycling / Bacteria

Hi All,

I feel like this is a real amateur question to be asking but hey ho,

If I am starting a new tank, and I have bought some live bacteria for the filter startup, can you then introduce shrimp immediately even throughout the initial large and regular water changes period or should I put the bacteria in and leave it for weeks anyway before introducing livestock?

Thanks

Personally I am enjoying the plants right now being just a week into my set up. I won't stock any livestock for at least 6 weeks to 2 months. While this is my first attempt at 'aquascaping' I have kept aquariums for many years and learned that patience usually pays handsomely. Allowing the tank to run in slowly gives you chance to observe and make adjustments, get the CO2, the water flow and Ferts right and really enjoy watching them grow, then when the fish/shrimps go in, everything is running nicely and all should go well.:thumbup:

As Ceg ( who's posts I really do admire) has said in one of his contributions, you do not need to add anything, just let the tank cycle itself. Bacteria comes naturally.

Hi all,
Allowing the tank to run in slowly gives you chance to observe and make adjustments, get the CO2, the water flow and Ferts right and really enjoy watching them grow, then when the fish/shrimps go in, everything is running nicely and all should go well
That one.
you are always best cycling them with ammonia.
you do not need to add anything, just let the tank cycle itself. Bacteria comes naturally
I'd have sent you some filter media from my shrimp tank
I don't like ammonia, but otherwise filter media from another filter or waiting works. Clive's post is here <Cycling a planted tank | UK Aquatic Plant Society>.

cheers Darrel

Reactions: tim
That's the one Darrel, sorry I am a bit slow finding my way around, Knew I'd been reading it recently.
Clive's posts are so explicit:thumbup:

I knew a guy years ago who used to add a little soil from his garden. As it happens he worked for King British but seemed to prefer the muck to the abundance of filter starters he had available to him!!

Back