• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank care and maintenance regime feedback needed

Robbie X

Hello all.
I will be planting my new aquascape tomorrow and could do with some advice on maintenance and daily running.
Rather than posting in multiple threads I hope it’s ok that I post all my query here.
Kit used:
Aquascaper 900, Twinstar 900S lighting, CO2 Art reg and diffuse, 2x Oase BioMaster thermal filters, EA complete liquid plant food.
From memory my regime should be something like this for the first month.
1. Lighting: 8hrs
2. Temperature: 77F
3. CO2: 8hrs
4. Fert dosing: Daily
5. Water change: 50% daily (for the first month)
Temperature based on future inhabitants such as Tetra and Chilli Rasbora.
Does this sound about right?
Cheers

Hello all.
I will be planting my new aquascape tomorrow and could do with some advice on maintenance and daily running.
Rather than posting in multiple threads I hope it’s ok that I post all my query here.
Kit used:
Aquascaper 900, Twinstar 900S lighting, CO2 Art reg and diffuse, 2x Oase BioMaster thermal filters, EA complete liquid plant food.
Cheers
Hello,
A daily water change is not really necessary. A 2X-3X per week is all you need.
No idea what "EA complete liquid plant food" is but you should ensure this product actually has, in fact NPK plus micronutrients. Always be wary of commercial fertilizers claiming to be "complete". That is kind of like when the former communist East Germany called themselves the German Democratic Republic.

Cheers,

That is kind of like when the former communist East Germany called themselves the German Democratic Republic.
Spot on! :) The product EA complete liquid plant food might be referring to Evolution Aqua Complete Plant food... Expensive stuff, maybe great, but without knowing the mash bill (list of ingredients...) no one can tell.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hello all.
Kit used:
Cheers

Hi @Robbie X Yes, that sounds about right to me except for the WC frequency and fertilizer situation - as pointed out by @ceg4048. Since this is going to be an injected tank and in case your new to CO2, I would strongly suggest doing a deep dive into researching the ins and outs of CO2 and all of what it entails. It's really one of the hardest things to nail down in the hobby as you can tell from all the posts on the topic, but the rewards of getting it right can be immense as can be seen by the tanks on display in the Journals and Tank galleries on this forum (I don't inject CO2 myself btw.).

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:

Seriously fish lists Boraras brigittae as tolerating down to 20C/68F, so they would probably be fine with an unheated tank as long as the ambient room temperature isn't too low. Some tetras (like neons) should also do fine at that temp, so heating or not depends on what you have planned on that front.

I do 50 percent for week one then every other day week 2 then every 3rd day week 3 then weekly by week 4 also when you say co2 8hrs hopefully you mean co2 coming on 2 hrs if not more before lights then going off 1hr before lights go off.i have a 900 and its a great size tank

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I do 50 percent for week one then every other day week 2 then every 3rd day week 3 then weekly by week 4 also when you say co2 8hrs hopefully you mean co2 coming on 2 hrs if not more before lights then going off 1hr before lights go off.i have a 900 and its a great size tank

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Many thanks D.
Thank you for pointing out the light/CO2 ratio. I was working towards equal time for both. That’s why it’s always good to double check 👍

Hello,
A daily water change is not really necessary. A 2X-3X per week is all you need.
No idea what "EA complete liquid plant food" is but you should ensure this product actually has, in fact NPK plus micronutrients. Always be wary of commercial fertilizers claiming to be "complete". That is kind of like when the former communist East Germany called themselves the German Democratic Republic.

Cheers,
Many thanks.
I will be switching to Ei dosing in the future. Just makes more sense 👍

Spot on! :) The product EA complete liquid plant food might be referring to Evolution Aqua Complete Plant food... Expensive stuff, maybe great, but without knowing the mash bill (list of ingredients...) no one can tell.

Cheers,
Michael
It is indeed the product you mention. Ei dosing will replace it 😺

Cheers,
Michael
OK, there is a video on that link with George waxing poetic about it, so I would have to assume he would only do so if it is an all-in-one. But still, why pay for water?
Many thanks.
I will be switching to Ei dosing in the future. Just makes more sense 👍
Good call mate! More sense always works! :cool:

Cheers,

Back