• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New setup advice

popeye

Hi all

I have been out of the hobby for a few years now due to family constraints.
I use to have a 5x2x2 full discus system on a continuous water change.

I am now starting from scratch and looking to setup a ADA 60P orequivalent Hi tech plated setup.
I want to get things right from the outset so all the fundamentals like lighting, Co2 equipment I want what shall work best in the long term.
Can anyone advise if the ADA solar RGB is suitable on a 60P or am I likely to run into difficulty with balancing CO2?
Can anyone recommend a high quality CO2 reg that is extremely stable and reliable.

any advice and words of wisdom going forward would be much appreciated.
Cheers Popeye

Chances are you'll receive a load of different suggestions here. Best thing to DL is go to Aquarium Gardens / Horizon Aquatics/ Scaped Nature / Riverwood/ Fishcove/ Aquatic Design Center and buy a full setup from there, based on one of their display tanks.

I would go for
-ADA Aquasky RGB... I know ADA have used the solar rgb on a 60-p but its not worth the risk, especially with hard tap water (higher risk of algae
-Oase Thermo 350T
-CO2 art pro se (solenoid+regulator) or JBL m001+ solenoid

-ADA power sand special or JBL volcano mineral +JBLplant start+ JBL volcano powder
-ADA or Tropica aquasoil.

First option of each is best option in my opinion.
Ferts: fillipe oliveira's seachem system or ADA ferts system (vv expensive, both options are baisically low nitrogen fertilisation methods.)

Chances are you'll receive a load of different suggestions here. Best thing to DL is go to Aquarium Gardens / Horizon Aquatics/ Scaped Nature / Riverwood/ Fishcove/ Aquatic Design Center and buy a full setup from there, based on one of their display tanks.

I would go for
-ADA Aquasky RGB... I know ADA have used the solar rgb on a 60-p but its not worth the risk, especially with hard tap water (higher risk of algae
-Oase Thermo 350T
-CO2 art pro se (solenoid+regulator) or JBL m001+ solenoid

-ADA power sand special or JBL volcano mineral +JBLplant start+ JBL volcano powder
-ADA or Tropica aquasoil.

First option of each is best option in my opinion.
Ferts: fillipe oliveira's seachem system or ADA ferts system (vv expensive, both options are baisically low nitrogen fertilisation methods.)

thanks for your reply. What’s considered hard tap water. Where I am is fairly soft and even with my 5x2x2 discus setup, HMA was all that was needed.

Life Aqua Master Pro has adjustable light intensity. But if you're spending that much I'd want to get ADA.

Life Aqua Master Pro has adjustable light intensity. But if you're spending that much I'd want to get ADA.
Just checked map and in a patch of green and purple but I don’t get any scale really at all in the house.

why would you go ADA, just as it’s a proven name? I want a high quality pendant and don’t want to be thinking I wish I went for..... in a year or so time. I assume the ADA would just have to be sited higher.
Will it make balancing CO2 challenging?

thanks again.

Attachments

• 51CFF957-2331-4FF7-BD3B-2B0B1C147D15.jpeg
    51CFF957-2331-4FF7-BD3B-2B0B1C147D15.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 120
Hi @popeye - I run 3 solar rgb at home and have been thinking about the question of one on a 60-P after our conversations. 2 of mine are on 60cm tanks but the Aquascaper 600 so deeper front to back than the 60P (50cm v. 30cm).

Decided if I wanted a pendant light on a 60-p, I’d do it in a heart beat 😃

Remembered this evening that @Ryan Thang To has one on his 60-P without issue. The salon where the tank is located is super brightly lit and only that light would even make the tank look like it is lit up at all.

That said, the light is bright but not too bright for a usual home. I got them for the brightness and colour rendition. Nothing comes close in my opinion.

If you search for Ryan’s posts you will see photos. Excellent scape and set up 😃

Also check out @Geoffrey Rea journals. He has 2 of them on a 1200 tank. More importantly for you he is running 2 X ONF lights on a 600 tank. Now that is super high light as they are only 10 cm from the water top. Basically a ceiling of light!
In no way will you be that extreme, but Ryan’s and Geoff’s tanks are examples of super nice scapes run with high lighting .

Ryan I assume uses hard water. Geoff has used both RO water and super hard water on his tanks, both with success.

Hope that helps.

👍😃

Also check out @Geoffrey Rea journals. He has 2 of them on a 1200 tank. More importantly for you he is running 2 X ONF lights on a 600 tank. Now that is super high light as they are only 10 cm from the water top. Basically a ceiling of light!
In no way will you be that extreme, but Ryan’s and Geoff’s tanks are examples of super nice scapes run with high lighting .
Forgot about @Geoffrey Rea ...Do it...try it on a 60-p. After all, I ran two twinstar 900S on a 70cm tank with no issues.
I'd go for ADA just because of the brand, yeah. But @Siege is more qualified to tell you the difference between the Life Aqua and the ADA lamps.

That's definitely soft... lucky. And in terms of CO2, no, I don't think there would be an issue. As always, try to put the maximum amount of CO2 possible in the tank, in soft water, you don't need as much to turn your drop checker green-yellow, because there are less carbonates in the water.... I don't completely understand the science behind this, but it's true.

I have the same size tank, ADA Aquasky RGB (10 hours per day), Eheim 2215, CO2art reg (the cheaper one). Power Sand Advance S topped with Amazonia II and Amazonia Powder. Kind of wish that I didn't use the powder as it has just mixed in really. Full ADA ferts.

According to API test kit my water is somewhere between 2 and 3 GH. I think 3 GH is equal to 50 mg/l above.

Plants very happy apart from a few deficiences which I amend by increasing the relevant fert. I was underdosing CO2 until the last week or so when I raised it and plants started pearling like crazy, but that didn't seem to be much of a problem.

Struggling to get red colours on Rotala colorata and H'ra, but potentially that's because the tank is relatively new, plants still transitioning and low CO2 might not have helped.

thanks for the kind works @Siege
i appreciate that. i use ro on all my tanks. ro use less co2 and the pearling is amazing.

hi popeye
are you CRAZY going for a solor rgb on a tiny 60p lol just kidding. well what can i say. you would need a ton of plants good substrate and fertiliser. if you can start off with out livestock and have the co2 on high that would be better.
i trim my plants every time it grows 5cm and that way the plant grows super red and slow

better to use ro water and do a lean dose straight away. of course do your wc every 1 or 2 day and so on

if you don't mind i drop a picture down.

1st picture i use aquasky rgb
2nd picture i use solor rgb

Attachments

• 20200312_213742.jpg
    20200312_213742.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 150
  • 20200318_132604.jpg
    20200318_132604.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 139
thanks for the kind works @Siege
i appreciate that. i use ro on all my tanks. ro use less co2 and the pearling is amazing.

hi popeye
are you CRAZY going for a solor rgb on a tiny 60p lol just kidding. well what can i say. you would need a ton of plants good substrate and fertiliser. if you can start off with out livestock and have the co2 on high that would be better.
i trim my plants every time it grows 5cm and that way the plant grows super red and slow

better to use ro water and do a lean dose straight away. of course do your wc every 1 or 2 day and so on

if you don't mind i drop a picture down.

1st picture i use aquasky rgb
2nd picture i use solor rgb

thanks for your reply.

I am thinking about a Dutch style scape so would be heavily planted. Obviously I can play about with the height of the lights and for me, the higher the better.
I am wanting to have a fairly unrestricted top down view as the tank will be viewable when coming downstairs.

thanks for your reply.

I am thinking about a Dutch style scape so would be heavily planted. Obviously I can play about with the height of the lights and for me, the higher the better.
I am wanting to have a fairly unrestricted top down view as the tank will be viewable when coming downstairs.
Dutch layout would be fun. good lucky on the trimming them plants

well it only a 60cm tank with that much light your going to need luck. going to be a lot of work to keep it nice and neat 😀

what would you suggest? Having the light about 15” from the surface help?
It’s looking like the consensus is the RGB is too much light for a 60P

@Ryan Thang To your tank looks awesome. If Dutch not wise I’ll just do something like yours.
I want red/pink stem plants with lots of contrasts in the scape.

@Shinobi i saw your tank and looks amazing.
do you have any advice or thoughts for having a solar RGB over a 60p like yourself?

thanks.

The ADA solar RGB might look too large for a 60P from an aesthetic point of view also? Something to consider.

Back