• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New set up and plant help.

Lee iley

Hi guys,

Just need a little guidance, I am 1 week into a new fishless cycle. My system and tank is as follows.
No co2 (low tech)
Tank. Aqua oak 200l
Filter. Oase thermo 350 (spray bar)
Substrate. JBL pro soil.
Hard scape. Spider wood/seryu stone.
Light. Fluval aqua sky 25watt ( 6 hours per day)
Fertiliser. TNC Lite twice a week so far.
Plants.
Staurogyn repens. X 4 pots tropica 1-2 grow
Anubias mini x 5
Anubias coin x3
Bucephalandra lamandau x3
Ludwigia palusmtris x5
Trident (java fern) x8
Narrow (java fern)x6
Limnophila hippurpides x5
Java moss x 2 pots
Flame mos x2 pots.
Just want some advice please I have done 3 50% water changes so far. I haven't testerd my water at all yet as I have no testing kits etc. I know testing is a waste of time so havnt bothered. I have noticed on some of my anubias the odd leaf has some brown on it and slight yellow patch on the same leaves. It won't let me upload any pics. I have looked at my water report and my water is mod soft. My hardness Clarke is 5.53 and my PH is 7.21 conductivity is 138
I havnt converted any of them that is from the water report. I just want to know am I doing everything right so far really. Is the odd brown leaf just the plants adapting to been emerged? Any help would be great.

Hi all,
have looked at my water report and my water is mod soft. My hardness Clarke is 5.53 and my PH is 7.21 conductivity is 138
That is fine, you don't need to add any more dGH / dKH. To convert from English (Clarke) hardness" to "degree German" you can use the Lenntech converter (from <"your other thread">).
JBL pro soil.
Is that your <"ammonia source?">
I have noticed on some of my anubias the odd leaf has some brown on it and slight yellow patch on the same leaves
Anubias barteri really <"doesn't like ammonia">. Can you add a <"floating plant">? At the moment you mainly have slow growers.
I am 1 week into a new fishless cycle.
Are you adding ammonia? If you are? Just stop and then change a larger volume of water. Once <"your tank is grown in"> you can start adding the livestock.
Fertiliser. TNC Lite
I prefer a <"complete fertiliser">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

That is fine, you don't need to add any more dGH / dKH. To convert from English (Clarke) hardness" to "degree German" you can use the Lenntech converter (from <"your other thread">).

Is that your <"ammonia source?">

Anubias barteri really <"doesn't like ammonia">. Can you add a <"floating plant">? At the moment you mainly have slow growers.

Are you adding ammonia? If you are? Just stop and then change a larger volume of water. Once <"your tank is grown in"> you can start adding the livestock.

I prefer a <"complete fertiliser">.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for the reply darrel, yes the jbl pro is my amonia. I'm not adding any other amonia to the tank. I have just got some tnc complete now so will start adding that. I will get some floaters and see if that helps.

I am now nearly 4 weeks into my cycle, I have had to get rid of alot of my anubias as they were rotting. What could of caused this.? I have since got 9 more pots of anubias and 2 of them was rotted before I even put them in the tank. All my plants are from horizon aquatics.

Hi all,
I have had to get rid of alot of my anubias as they were rotting. What could of caused this.? I have since got 9 more pots of anubias and 2 of them was rotted before I even put them in the tank.
That doesn't sound good.

As well as issues with ammonia (NH3) there are a number of pests and diseases that effect them.

Have a search for <"Anubias's and nematodes">, but it will make fairly grisly reading.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
2 of them was rotted before I even put them in the tank. All my plants are from horizon aquatics.
If the plants were rotting when you received them, then you should have contacted the vendor directly at the point when you took delivery of said plants. You shouldn't be receiving rotting plants.

Coincidentally, emersed plants can sometimes melt or rot when they are initially submersed, I often find reducing the lighting intensity reduces this to a minimum.

Hi all,

Just an update did a water change this morning and all the new Anubias (9 pots in total) has completely rotted and my Buces. The tank is 4 weeks into my cycle. Any ideas to why this is. I phoned the place I got them all from (Horizon Aquatics) they said it could be because it is a new set up all my other plans are fine just some diatoms on the leafs really. I havnt tested my water at all for Amonia etc as you lot say its a waste of time. My other plants are growing steadily well. Could it be because I am dosing twice a week TNC complete 20ml. I am over dosing just so I know they are getting enough nutrients. I have been doing 2x 60% W/C per week. Also when I fill my tank bk up I just use cold water as there is no live stock I there yet could this be the problem. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers Lee

Do you use Tap water conditioner when you top up with cold water? I also let my new water sit over night to get rid of that pesky chlorine.
I use 3ml per day in my 30l Tank of TNC complete. I don't have any "Anubias" but my plant are thriving at this level without and CO₂. So I would say it is not over dosing fertilizer that is causing your issues.

Do you use Tap water conditioner when you top up with cold water? I also let my new water sit over night to get rid of that pesky chlorine.
I use 3ml per day in my 30l Tank of TNC complete. I don't have any "Anubias" but my plant are thriving at this level without and CO₂. So I would say it is not over dosing fertilizer that is causing your issues.
Hi,
thanks for the reply, yes I use tap water conditioner I add that before I add the new water.

Cheers Lee

Also when I fill my tank bk up I just use cold water as there is no live stock
How cold are we talking here?
I wouldnt be filling up with anything less than 18-20 degrees celcius minimum, as these temperature shocks will take a toll on your plant health.
Plants may not be livestock but they are alive in their own way and are not like rocks and wood.

How cold are we talking here?
I wouldnt be filling up with anything less than 18-20 degrees celcius minimum, as these temperature shocks will take a toll on your plant health.
Plants may not be livestock but they are alive in their own way and are not like rocks and wood.
As its summer here in the UK the tap water is between 19 and 20. I will be getting a hose pipe connector so I can do a mix of cold and warm. Could this of caused my rot?

As its summer here in the UK the tap water is between 19 and 20. I will be getting a hose pipe connector so I can do a mix of cold and warm. Could this of caused my rot?
Okay thats not as bad as it could have been then. It probably didnt cause the rot but can contribute to poor health in plants that are already stressed, these are tropical plants after all.

Did you get replacement for the pots that were rotted on arrival? The supplier should replace those I think, but they cant take responsibility for those who arrived in good condition and then later rotted.
It does make me a little bit suspicious though that if some were rotted on arrival, if the others could also have been subjected to the same stress (like improper temperature in transit for instance) and therefore have been weakened when they arrived with you.
Having buce (especially) and sometimes anubias melt on start up of a new tank is not unheard of, and some recommend to only add buce after a certain amount of time has passed because of this.
Sometimes it seems people just have gotten really bad luck, and need to try buce/anubias again later when their tank is ready.

I think the advice you have gotten so far is solid and recommend you keep up with water changes for a while to make sure nothing is building up in the water column.
As far as I know TNC Complete does not contain any ammonia, so you should be fine to use that.
Youre probably just going to have to wait it out :)

Okay thats not as bad as it could have been then. It probably didnt cause the rot but can contribute to poor health in plants that are already stressed, these are tropical plants after all.

Did you get replacement for the pots that were rotted on arrival? The supplier should replace those I think, but they cant take responsibility for those who arrived in good condition and then later rotted.
It does make me a little bit suspicious though that if some were rotted on arrival, if the others could also have been subjected to the same stress (like improper temperature in transit for instance) and therefore have been weakened when they arrived with you.
Having buce (especially) and sometimes anubias melt on start up of a new tank is not unheard of, and some recommend to only add buce after a certain amount of time has passed because of this.
Sometimes it seems people just have gotten really bad luck, and need to try buce/anubias again later when their tank is ready.

I think the advice you have gotten so far is solid and recommend you keep up with water changes for a while to make sure nothing is building up in the water column.
As far as I know TNC Complete does not contain any ammonia, so you should be fine to use that.
Youre probably just going to have to wait it out :)
Thank you for the reply, I didn't ring the shop on arrival which I should of done really. I have a few bits of anubias left that I could save and now have them floating in the tank. Hopefully these won't rot.

Back