• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Scape (critique needed) PICS

Thanks george for the links, will have a read over these tonight.

A few problems i think, drop checker is yellow, plants looking ok but a few crpts melting and also potogomon helferi looking yellowish with also a few bits of HC not looking too clever. I think i read somewhere that this is expected in the first week.....am i right????

I have the co2 coming on 1 hour before lights. Light on for 7 hours, did first water change and added 10 ml easycarbo today also.

Thank you.

I think that your scape is nice and that it will look real good when it grows in a little bit more.

If anything I would maybe just try to angle some of those branches toward the front a little more. As they are they seem to be lined up in a 2-dimensional way and they could benefit with a bit more depth.

thanky ou hydrophyte, i am having problems with floating up also so i am nt touching it just now, i will however do this once the tank has settled, i know it looks all lined up although they are not at all, i will try to get a pic to show what i mean from the top or side.

Anybody come in with help regards my earlier post, Cheers.

My setup is inlet at the left and outlet at right with also diffuser and powerhead on the right, the bubbles are coming straight up in front of the outlet and powerhead being swished around the tank, i have also add the original powerhead from the juwel on the left side to create more flow, do you think this is ok.

tko187 said:
plants looking ok but a few crpts melting

normal.

tko187 said:
potogomon helferi looking yellowish

if it's grown above water before planting, it's normal. it's got new surroundings so expect things like this. keep co2 high.

tko187 said:
HC not looking too clever

again normal. but HC will be the first to fail if you don't keep a tight ship, again keep co2 high.

tko187 said:
am i right????

of course :D

tko187 said:
co2 coming on 1 hour before lights

now that all depends on the rate. if it's a high rate then fine, but if it's trickling out, then either up the co2 injection, or bring it on 2 hours before. the first would be a better option. look for yellow through out the photo period.

Saintly thank you, i feel a lot better now, you have been very helpful indeed. Now i can sleep, iv decided to leave the co2 on tonight, will this be ok? Too many question right, im sorry man.

What do people mean by 1 bubble per sec, ive tried counting them but i cant it seems like maybe 200 bps!!!!!

Saintly whatever happen to savannah dreaming.........just wondering as it was looking good,any pics?

Day 4

ukaps.jpg

FTS

ukaps2.jpg

So how many bubbles per second does that look like?

thats cleared up nicley.

tko187 said:
iv decided to leave the co2 on tonight, will this be ok?

as long as you've got some surface movement. you'll need to really keep an eye on fish if you have any though. if you don't have fauna yet, keep it high. but you could save yourself co2 by using a solenoid.

tko187 said:
What do people mean by 1 bubble per sec, i've tried counting them but i cant it seems like maybe 200 bps!!!!!

forget the bubble thing. use a drop checker.

tko187 said:
Saintly whatever happen to savannah dreaming.........just wondering as it was looking good,any pics?

I never followed it through. it was just a hardscape practise session. :D

1 bubble per second refers to the bubble counter that is usually fitted in-line between the CO2 pressure regulator, non-return valve and diffuser.

Different bubble counters have different bubble sizes, but 1 bubble per second (BPS) is a good starting point for most tanks.

A 4dKH drop checker is often used to try and maintain a 30ppm CO2 level.

http://www.ukaps.org/drop-checker.htm

Having CO2 come on 1hr before lights on and off 1hr before lights off is usually fine. Plant don't usually use CO2 for an hour after the photoperiod starts.

CO2 circulation is very important, especially towards the substrate where carpeting plants require it. HC loves CO2 and tends not to do well if it's not present. Easycarbo does help though.

Ninja'd by saintly...

Cheers again guys, it seems to have cleared up well.

@ george, somebodyelse told me to direct my powerhead away from substrate, i think maybe viktor, so this is what i have done, maybe ill try to get a video up o show the flow??

Hc has been pearling all day, but not the parvula?? I have also added my old juwel powerhead as surface movement was nil, this seems to have fixed that. Also removed diffuser below powerhead so bubbles are being swished about all over.

I think i must have posted my second pic at the same time as Saintly too, so ignore the bubble question, i read it afterwards!!!

Saintly i would have loved to have seen that tank planted man, was nice scape.

saintly said:
tko187 said:
Saintly i would have loved to have seen that tank planted man, was nice scape.

well i'm doing this tank again shortly so you never know :D thanks my friend.

Ill keep a look out for it.

Marco Aukes said:
Wow, there you go; all it needed was planting.

Looks good; job well done! :thumbup:

Thank you, what a difference the plants make, now to pick fish........any ideas!!

Re: New Scape (critique needed) PICS (DISASTER NO CO2 HELP)

DISASTER today guys............co2 has went off for some reason, both needles are showing zero, nothing coming out at all.

Surely these bottles dont run out in 4 days???

I called TGM and tried all the advice given but no luck at all. Whats the consequences of not having co2 for a day or two? , my helferi looks like its dissapearing altogether!!

Anyone have any experience with the JBL set profi??

In some other pics i have seen it shows the solenoid connects straifgt to the bottle but mine dont as both thread are the same size so the only way to connect mine was to add co2 piping between the bottle and the solenoid?

Any help appreciated!

Sure your plants are not happy, but 2 days is not that bad that they will die. if needed you can add some of the liquid co2 products, or in a worst case make some co2 yourself.

but most important for all, you can't use a bottle in 4 days unless you are really overdose your tank, of your conncetions are not ok.

Marco Aukes said:
At rechecking you pics, the bubble flow of your CO2 looks like a jacuzi.......I think you had put the CO2 up to high.

Do you think so? I asked Saintly and he said dont worry about bps and just read the drop checker and make sure its yellow.

I will try a refill tomorrow, but i still think even if it was on full blast would it be possible to empty this in 4 days working only daytime, i dont think so but im new to this lark so dont really know if i had it too much.

Does it look like from the pics to be too much?? I was told this 500g bottle would last 2 - 3 months at least.

i get about 3 months out of a 2kg FE on my 215ltr tank.was getting 3-4 weeks from 500g bottle.
i've also got a piece of co2 tube between my JBL reg and cheap solenoid with no problems.
did you check for leaks,also what colour did your drop checker go.

Back