• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

New Scape Algae Advice

martins8585

Hi - my new tanks been set up for around : weeks and I’ve just started seeing some fury orange growth on one piece of wood and some algae spots on on of my Anubis.

The details of the set up are:

Tank - 90cm x 60cm x 52.5cm
Lights - 2 Twinstar G Line 100
Filter - Oase Biomaster Thermo 600
CO2 - inline defuser

Lights have been on 6hrs per day at around 70% (Step 4 out of 6, CO2 come on 2hrs before lights and goes off an hour before the lights.

Overall I think the tanks doing ok but I’m keen to get on top of these issues.

I’d welcome advice on what I should do - keep things the same and just work through it or make changes?

Cheers
Martin
IMG_0420.jpeg
IMG_0444.jpeg
IMG_0451.jpeg

Looks nice and clean.
Sure people are going to say its diatoms plus some orange fuzz which is something that likes that wood.
You could treat it or just brush off? I think i see snail eggs so they don't want it?
I am far from giving advice really, but the way your inlet and outlet are positioned means your water isn't doing a full circle as they are on the long edge of the tank?
I think its okay on the short edge? Probably nothing but i thought id mention.

The crew will be round soon.

Si

Thanks Si.

Re: inlet / outlet - yes...... I ordered the tank from a local (well regarded) aquatics shop and being new to this, all I did was give the the dimensions of the tank. It's a braced tank and when it arrived the cut outs of the pipes were two, rather small, triangles that you can just about get a pipe in at either end. (Being braced it's not as simple as just doing some cut-outs in the hood and re-positioning as I don't really fancy drilling into glass)

To try and increase flow and surface agitation I'm running the Oase skimmer full time and I'm considering moving this to the back wall to increase water movement in this area.

Cheers
Martin

I think you’ve got a lot of light here, and as it’s a new tank, you should expect some algae/bacteria as it balances out. It doesn’t look heavily planted and that’s always risky; could you add any floating plants for a couple of month?

I’d highly recommend investing in 10 amano shrimps.

The growth on the wood is normal btw and should come off easy with your hands and syphon.

I think you’ve got a lot of light here, and as it’s a new tank, you should expect some algae/bacteria as it balances out. It doesn’t look heavily planted and that’s always risky; could you add any floating plants for a couple of month?

I’d highly recommend investing in 10 amano shrimps.

The growth on the wood is normal btw and should come off easy with your hands and syphon.
Hi Castle - thank you for your comments and yes, shrimps and floating plants will hopefully go in at some point.

I’ve added some shots from the sides so you can see the stems at the back which will be trimmed and replanted.

Following your post I did a large water change and got a tooth brush on it which did the job!!

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpeg
    IMG_0456.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0457.jpeg
    IMG_0457.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
Back