• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal New project for me week off

Thanks mort!

I presume by doing that you remove the pump and any water to prevent stagnation and pipes freezing up?

Am I daft to consider covering the pond with insulation cold frame material?

I'm perhaps not the best person to advise as I'm pretty lazy, I just turn off the pump and then turn it on 6 months later. The above pipework is ribbed plastic and as it's above the pond level to feed the waterfall, I think it drains back to the pond anyway. The pump sits on the bottom so its fine. The only thing I do is make sure their is a hole in the ice if any forms. We had a small heater when I was a kid, some floating tennis balls and various other method but nothing for many years now and it's been fine. In a city type area, unless you are prone to really cold weather, I don't think you need to worry as much.
I think @frederick thompson covers his pond and winterises it properly but he has a proper impressive pond.

Hello mate. Because of the koi in my pond I cover the pond. With a thermal cover.
Last year it stayed between 8c and 12c last winter. And winter before. So they got fed nearly all winter. I feed wheatgerm food. In winter. And I never turn pumps.
UVs filters and air off.
I run them all year.
Fred

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

if the pump goes to a filter than leave it running, can by pass waterfalls if you so wish

I fed the same food all year if home, but reduce the amount and only if they seem interested in feeding,

I also never break a hole in the ice (a rare thing these days) its not there for long and helps keeps the chill off the water, maybe if it was a solid layer, but its not happened thanks to air going in,

I'm perhaps not the best person to advise as I'm pretty lazy, I just turn off the pump and then turn it on 6 months later. The above pipework is ribbed plastic and as it's above the pond level to feed the waterfall, I think it drains back to the pond anyway. The pump sits on the bottom so its fine. The only thing I do is make sure their is a hole in the ice if any forms. We had a small heater when I was a kid, some floating tennis balls and various other method but nothing for many years now and it's been fine. In a city type area, unless you are prone to really cold weather, I don't think you need to worry as much.
I think @frederick thompson covers his pond and winterises it properly but he has a proper impressive pond.
Your right mort. I cover in winter. Only because of the koi. There immune system gets affected from 4c downwards. They stop swimming from about 5c. And just sit on the bottom of the pond. And end up with ulcers.
Since covering 3 years ago.
No problems
Fred

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Took some pictures a year later!

Think it’s bedded in well!

d277d6c58c866eab0f97938104618367.jpg

8624c712696fe411759cfd94298ca725.jpg

4c8c19456390deaae54d15cfc8b6a2ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back