• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Nano set up advice

dchollo82

Hi UKAP members,

Looking for a bit of advice on a first attempt for several years at a planted aquarium.

It’s not really a scape, more a planted nano tank. Tank is a super fish home 25. I didn’t like the casing or lighting much as I couldn’t raise it or dim the lights when using a wall timer, so have removed and replaced with a hygger 14 watt full spectrum which I picked up on Amazon and installed today.

Would call it a low tech set up. Been going for nearly 3 weeks with mostly daily water changes and dosing with 1 squirt of 2hr aquarist daily. New lights are set to around 50-75% and on for around six hours.

The aquarium is in the kitchen which is well lit throughout the day with natural light but not direct sunlight.

I have started to notice some brown algae on the Anubis’s leaves and at the back right (where the light hasn’t been as great) with the previous light it looks like the roots are rotting a bit? Not sure if this is normal or not?

Keen to get your thoughts on my routine? Would dose a low tech tank daily or just when carrying out water changes? Do you think my light duration of 6 hours is enough or should I raise it a little?

Would really appreciate any advice on management and getting the best from this first little set. Keen to get this to a stage where it manages itself and requires infrequent water changes, if possible.

Thanks!
David

Attachments

• IMG_3723.jpeg
    IMG_3723.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3722.jpeg
    IMG_3722.jpeg
    845.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3721.jpeg
    IMG_3721.jpeg
    750.9 KB · Views: 15
Forgot to add plants;
Hygrophila lancea
Helanthium tenellum 'Green'
Littorella uniflora
Ludwigia palustris
Limnophila sessiliflora
Microsorum Narrow Leaf
Bucephalandra Theia
Bucephalandra Kedagang
Taxiphllum Spiky moss
Anubias Petite
Rotala Rotundifolia

Hi Dave
The brown algae is diatoms this algae sometimes appears in new set-ups!
It usually disappears after the aquarium fully matures.
The Anubias roots are a concern....can you remove the plant and inspect the rhizome for decay or rotting?
Continue as you are with water changes and fertilization.
6 hours is adequate for the time being....you can increase the duration once the tank reaches maturity.
I would use the tutorial below.....I implement it on all my new set-ups.

Thanks for the advice GH Nelson 🙂

The root rotting looks to be on one of the background plants. Either the Ludwigia palustris or the Rotala Rotundifolia.
Think I should pull it out? Would trimming the rot off and replanting help?

Thanks,
David

Back