• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New member.

Welcome to UKAPS, things are moving at a rapid rate in lighting,filtration etc but some of the phased out things l miss🙂

Hi all,
A lot has changed. I am more used to undergravel filters and fluorescent lights.
I still like under-gravel filters, the don't work very well with sand, but that is there only real downside. I think part of the reason they went out of fashion is that they don't have <"any consumables etc"> that <"you can sell to people"> when you sell them <"a canister filter">. Same with lights, nothing wrong with T5 and T8 tubes, now they are electronically ballasted the <"lamps are bright until they "pop">.
things are moving at a rapid rate in lighting,filtration etc
In some ways the past is <"a different country">.

cheers Darrel

Welcome to UKAPS :)

still like under-gravel filters, the don't work very well with sand, but that is there only real downside.
That’s such a throwback to the old days Darrel :) … back in the day with big cichlid tanks and hardly any or no plants, I almost always had under gravel filters. With densely planted tanks I always thought they would clog up eventually due the roots or weren’t too beneficial due to the plants… now I wonder since you brought it up… maybe we should have an under gravel filter pros- and cons thread.? :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi,I asked about the American fish guy Father Fish on a UK tropical fish site on faceache.To be honest no one had anything good to say about him.
I think he methods are sound,you just have to do it properly.
I have bought some sand,plus some proper aquatic soil.He mentions adding bone meal and other stuff to the soil.
Is there a supplier in the UK that supplies a ready made mixture of stuff like the stuff he mentions.
He also said in one of his youtube videos about adding mud from a pond or lake to the soil.

Hi,I asked about the American fish guy Father Fish on a UK tropical fish site on faceache.To be honest no one had anything good to say about him.
I think he methods are sound,you just have to do it properly.
Good morning and welcome,
I've only seen two of his videos on Youtube of which one was titled 'do not feed your fish' but around 15% of the program was dedicated to the graphic showing of the feeding of live fish, urrgh!
Some of his aquariums appeared to be stale and yellow, but each to his own.
Cheers!

Back