• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Antix8989

Hi All, I've been reading the posts for tips/trouble shooting etc and figured I'd better sign up. I kept a community tank as a kid, and finally dove in with my first scape last year. I made about every mistake going (I've still got 1kg of citric acid and bicarb under the sink). Remodelled after 6 months and now I'm hooked. The only problem now (besides a bit of BBA) is, my gf says I can't get a bigger tank until we move :(

Attachments

• IMG_20220117_093147.jpg
    IMG_20220117_093147.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20210723_161429.jpg
    IMG_20210723_161429.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 99
Thanks :) it started life like this...you can see what managed to cling on through my learning curve.

Attachments

• P1080177.jpg
    P1080177.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 102
Thanks :) it started life like this...you can see what managed to cling on through my learning curve.
Hi @Antix8989

Must be my eyesight. Or, perhaps, you are referring to the drop checker? Incidentally, this is very low in the tank. It's more likely to give reliable indication of CO2 in the upper half of the tank.

Beautiful tank, though.

JPC

Hi @Antix8989

Must be my eyesight. Or, perhaps, you are referring to the drop checker? Incidentally, this is very low in the tank. It's more likely to give reliable indication of CO2 in the upper half of the tank.

Beautiful tank, though.

JPC
Thanks for the tip :) I actually ditched the drop checker months ago, if I use one again I'll put it higher up.

I found everything just works better with more CO2 and decent gaseous exchange at the surface. I upped it to 4bps in a 90L. My checker was constantly yellow, but the fish are happy and the plants are thriving. Maybe my liquid rock London tap water is buffering or something. Not sure. Not fussed if the BBA is dying and my plants are growing :)

I actually ditched the drop checker months ago, if I use one again I'll put it higher up.
Hi @Antix8989

Without the DC, how are you keeping an eye on CO2 concentration? One of the problems with CO2 and fish is that everything may appear to be OK with your fish but, longer term, it can take its toll on them. If the DC is showing yellow, that's not good.

JPC

Thanks for the concern. I'm relying on surface agitation to degas the excess, and ensure enough O2 for the inhabitants. (see linked video)

I keep a close eye on the fish (WFH next to the tank), no issues observed in months.

Thanks for the concern. I'm relying on surface agitation to degas the excess, and ensure enough O2 for the inhabitants. (see linked video)

I keep a close eye on the fish (WFH next to the tank), no issues observed in months.

Ok. It's back in. Will report back.

IMG_20220117_235615.jpg

Back