• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New member tank location question!

colmans

Hi,

I'm just looking at getting started out (or back out after 30 year break!). I have a potential location for a tank but it's very open and take in a lot of natural sunlight. Before I start out is a high natural sunlight location going to cause me heavy problems on the algae front?

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Hello Johnny and welcome :)

If the location of your tank receives direct sunlight then you will likely experience some algae problems of one sort or another. For instance, I know through experience that cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) will thrive in or on nutrient rich substrate in direct sunlight, especially up against the glass.

Edit: That's not to say it can't be done, but it just becomes a little more difficult to achieve a stable and balanced system, which is key to algae prevention. Planting heavily from the outset will undoubtedly help since it contributes hugely to biological stability. A bright location out of direct sunlight isn't usually that much of a problem.

Given you are coming back after many years out I would strongly advise against any direct sunlight if you can position in another area. You can succeed but you are really limiting what you can do as you will need to add C02 to cover the ever changing natural lighting times and intensity.

I had a tank with direct light in my previous flat which was top floor on the south cost. Always had algae /Co2 related issues. Moved house and positioned to a shaded area and it was much, much easier.

Keep it as simple as you can from the outset and you have a much higher chance of success!

Thanks everyone :). I think that was my concern Tom, variable natural light at different times of year and trying to balance that with lighting times felt like it might overload my uncomplex brain :). I was trying to balance that out with the logic that the natural light location was in a better viewing spot and also in a spot where I'm much more likely to actively manage as well. No point in that spot being ideal for me though if it limits success!

Back