• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New member seeking advice!

Jotun

Seedling
Hi guys, I wanted to introduce myself and at the same time check if you can help me out with a few things. I've been reading all the great content that's on here for the past months. I just set up my first aquarium since I was a kid. My father used to keep a 750l reef aquarium which I used to admire.

Before I got my current aquarium which is a Juwel Lido 200l I did an extensive research into what I wanted and quickly I knew I wanted to keep a planted aquarium. I spent half a year doing research on how to setup and run a planted aquarium and then decided I just needed to try it out and learn by doing, which is what I’m doing now. I really like how my setup is and it is bringing my a lot of joy. And I'd like to keep it that way so I'm reaching out to you guys for help with the issues I'm having.

IMG_2296.jpeg

My setup is a Juwel Lido 200l with the internal biofilter, I’ve upgraded the pump to a bio flow 1000 pump from the original 600. I Added a Eheim 1000 compactON powerhead too help with the flow, I keep them on the seperate end of the aquarium. I changed the stock light and put in a Juwel Helialux Spectrum which is set at 100% for 9 hours a day with a 15 min ramp up and down time. My substrate consists of a JBL aqua basis plus and a JBL Mando dark on top. I have a co2 system set at 2 bubbles per second turns on 2 hourse before light and off 1 hour before. I add 3ml a day of EasyLife ProFito.

I’m fully stocked with about 50 fish. Consting of neon tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Julli Corydoras and Otocinclus. I also have 8 Amano Shrimp, 10 Bloody Mary shrimps and nerite snails.

And these are my parameters from this morning: ammonia-0, Nitrate-10, Nitrite-0, GH-less than 3°d, KH-3°d, PH-6.4, co2: 20 (but this fluctuates by the time of day)

The aquarium is 2 months and 2 weeks old. All my plants are growing well except Vallisneria which doesn't grow at all, and I suspect it's because of soft water. At the moment I’ve got three algae growing, I think I've been able to identify them correctly but let me know if I´m wrong. it’s not growing fast but I feel if I don’t do something now it’s just going to get worse. I'll post some picture to help explain what's going on.

I have a green spot algae on the glass and on the Anubias which I don’t know how to tackle, I’m not too worried about it since I can clean the glass but I’d like to know what is causing it.

IMG_2298.jpeg

I have black beard algae on my driftwood and some plants, I see it’s taking over one of the leaves on my Anubias like you can see from the above image. From what I’ve read this is caused by not enough co2. Should I Lower the amount of light and keep my co2 at the same level to tackle this? Would dosing liquid carbon help with this?

I have some stag horn algae on my dwarf sag and hygrophila. From what I’ve read this is caused by too much iron and an unclean filter or gravel? Should I does less of profit? I’ve cleaned the filter once but I don’t vacuum the gravel since it’s so heavily planted, should I be doing that?

IMG_2300.jpeg

IMG_2299.jpeg

I wanted to ask what is the best way to trim a stem plant? I understand I can cut the top and propagate it by placing it in the gravel. But I’ve noticed some of my plants getting pretty gnarly at the lower part. Should I cut the good looking part away and throw the bottom out? I’ve posted a picture of one of my plants as reference.

IMG_2297.jpeg

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and I appricate all the help I can get. I look forward to spend more time here on the forums and be active in commenting.

@Jotun interested in your post as I am about to start my first adventure in aquascaping. what has been your water change routine out of curiosity ? Seem to read in a few posts that this can have an impact on algae ? But might be totally wrong.

Hi Chris, I followd the schedule that I got provided with the tropica app. Which was about once a day for the first week, every other day for week two and then after three weeks it is 50% every week.

After this post I did change my light from 100% to 80% and lowered my micro dosing by half. The algae isn't growing like crazy, but it's getting worse on my dwarf sag. Will monitor my progress and submit my findings if people are interested.

My setup is a Juwel Lido 200l with the internal biofilter, I’ve upgraded the pump to a bio flow 1000 pump from the original 600. I Added a Eheim 1000 compactON powerhead too help with the flow, I keep them on the seperate end of the aquarium.
Be careful with this bio flow pump modification as some have reported collapse of the sponge media (reduced flow and possible effects on biological cycle)

Have you actually looked at flow pattern?

I’m fully stocked with about 50 fish. Consting of neon tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Julli Corydoras and Otocinclus.
That’s a significant load for a new tank
Organic waste from this will likely impact algae proliferation

And as you’re seeing significant algae, I’d suggest frequent larger (min 50%) water changes, siphoning to remove debris (George Farmer “wafting hand” style, toothbrush application to hardscape (GF uses an electric) - note GF has filter stopped during this process, followed by large water change or water IN/water OUT flow to remove all the released gunk)

I’m not sure I’d reduce light intensity re tank height vs substrate PAR effects - Juwel technical support should have an opinion on this re (outstanding) Interzoo 2018 Lido display tanks with HelioLux lighting - instead decrease lighting time

Easylife Profito contains no macro elements (nitrogen N and phosphorus P) and you should confirm potassium K levels

You might find these Filipe Oliveira videos helpful

All my plants are growing well except Vallisneria which doesn't grow at all, and I suspect it's because of soft water.
Which species of Vallisneria?
I’ve found it grows fine in my very soft tapwater (KH 0-1, GH 1-2, pH ~6.4)

Once plants are rooted you can carefully vacuum the substrate area (I think you’ll see this in the maintenance video but must admit it’s been awhile since I watched)

Green Aqua also has a series of Guide Videos

And this Algae Guide
(If you do a Channel Search there are a couple videos)

Filipe Oliveira also has an algae VLOG video worth watching

I wanted to ask what is the best way to trim a stem plant? I understand I can cut the top and propagate it by placing it in the gravel. But I’ve noticed some of my plants getting pretty gnarly at the lower part. Should I cut the good looking part away and throw the bottom out? I’ve posted a picture of one of my plants as reference.
There are a couple ways to do this

You can trim the upper portion, remove any algae/unhealthy/damaged leafs, also carefully trim any leafs which will be “underground” once planted (this is more important with large leafs and can be ignored with fine leafs plants) - new roots will form at the leaf nodes

The lower (rooted) portion will often develop new healthy growth - remove the old damaged leafs - IF plant has sufficient stored nutrients in the stem and roots - and sufficient light - the regrowth will be fairly rapid (depending upon plant specifics): note this plant portion should be several cm’s tall (though some plants will happily regrow from very short remnants)
Of course if you replant the trimmed tops so that the original lower portions of the plant are deeply shaded, then regrowth can be slower etc (again depending upon plant species and overall light level at substrate)

Tropica has several Plant Handling Videos that show trimming etc
(Select from Tropica Playlist)

I recommend you have one of the Moderators move this Topic to Journals (if you’re going to continue it as such) or Plant Discussion or Algae etc

(You can send a pm/start conversation to a specific Moderator (click on any moderator currently online etc) or click “Report” on your post and include the request :))

I followd the schedule that I got provided with the tropica app.
The app can't allow for every tank being different. As Alto says, you have a lot of livestock for an immature tank, so probably lots of organic waste. More and/or bigger water changes will help.

internal biofilter, I’ve upgraded the pump to a bio flow 1000 pump from the original 600
While they are very effective filters, I hate them as they are taking too much space which can be used for plants. All my internal bio/jumbos etc ended up in the shed (but I sill use those Juwel/Sicce pumps, they are very effective for water movemen)t. But that's only my personal point of view.
I have a green spot algae on the glass and on the Anubias which I don’t know how to tackle
Dose more PO4 than usually, most of those spot algae are an effect of low phosphates.
I have black beard algae on my driftwood and some plants, I see it’s taking over one of the leaves on my Anubias like you can see from the above image. From what I’ve read this is caused by not enough co2.
That's very likely, if plants don't get enough CO2 correlated with light, nutrients etc. (or available carbon in other forms which will finally end up as CO2 anyway) they can outgass N in ammonia form (NH3) and that's what BBA and your staghorns are munching on. And that's why staghorns appear on the edges of the leaves first.

Easylife Profito contains no macro elements (nitrogen N and phosphorus P) and you should confirm potassium K levels
This is probably most important advice you've got at the moment (or most important problem @alto has spotted), you'll probably need to have look at your NPK supply (maybe Mg too) and just concentrate on plants nutrition and their health etc and don't think about algae AT ALL. 90% of them will pass away while your plants will be fed and healthy.

Reactions: Ray
Thanks a lot for you feedback guys. Alto thanks for all the links and info you provided, it's really helpful.

I knew that Profito is only micro nutrients but I thought I should not add macro nutrients because I have so many fish. From what I understood they and their food would provide the macro nutrients needed. I'll defenetly try adding macro and see how it goes. I'll also change my light from 80% to 100% again and change the light period to 8 hours to see how it works out.

Alto yes I have looked at flow patterns but didn't find anything that helped me for my tank setup. Do you think I'm doing it the wrong way? Is there another setup that you recommend for me?

I have Vallisneria spiralis.

Again thanks for your help.

Hi Chris, I followd the schedule that I got provided with the tropica app. Which was about once a day for the first week, every other day for week two and then after three weeks it is 50% every week.

After this post I did change my light from 100% to 80% and lowered my micro dosing by half. The algae isn't growing like crazy, but it's getting worse on my dwarf sag. Will monitor my progress and submit my findings if people are interested.
An app, well that’s one I need to look into. I think it’s an interesting subject water changes as it seems so adhoc for something so critical. All a learning curve for me for sure !

Do you think I'm doing it the wrong way? Is there another setup that you recommend for me?
Sorry
I meant visualize flow in your tank - follow the path of the CO2 micro bubbles, of finely crumbled flake food, frozen brine shrimp (good way to follow a given shrimp and see where it goes - though with 50 fish that might not be far :) - you probably need to add 2 thawed cubes so see what’s happening outside fish scatter) , frozen daphnia (thaw and add a whole Hikari cube (for size reference) - you should see this quickly dissipate everywhere, it’s less palatable/tiny particle so fish take longer to eat this)

As this is a deep tank, you may want to play with power head position - with a canister filter, the intake tube sits near the substrate, outflow near the surface ... I suspect you may have less flow across the substrate

but I thought I should not add macro nutrients because I have so many fish. From what I understood they and their food would provide the macro nutrients needed
I agree this is an important consideration in a higher fish load tank, but daily fertilizer macro addition would be a more consistent supply, I’d just begin with lower level N, P and see how plants respond
I’d check with EasyLife to find out how much Potassium K is added with each dose - or just add some extra

In this Jurijs mit JS video, Adrie Baumann discusses his fertilization method

I have Vallisneria spiralis.
Source?
Tropica Vallisneria spiralis Tiger is an aggressive grower :wideyed:
but I’ve picked up some “Singapore” or “Thailand” bunch plants labelled as Vallisneria spiralis that mostly melted, and the few plants that survived never thrived

When a plant nursery such as Tropica, Dennerle, Aquaflora market an aquarium plant, it has been rigorously tested for aquarium suitability, shipping etc

An app, well that’s one I need to look into. I think it’s an interesting subject water changes as it seems so adhoc for something so critical. All a learning curve for me for sure !
Tropica’s site provides an excellent foundation for plants (types, trimming, planting, plant handling videos, plant profile videos) and planted aquarium care (there are loads of drop down menus)

The 90 Dap App is a good way to begin, though if you see visible algae, large daily water changes are one of the most effective deterrents

Tropica Instagram livestream with George Farmer & Jurijs mi JS

Tropica’s site provides an excellent foundation for plants (types, trimming, planting, plant handling videos, plant profile videos) and planted aquarium care (there are loads of drop down menus)

The 90 Dap App is a good way to begin, though if you see visible algae, large daily water changes are one of the most effective deterrents

Tropica Instagram livestream with George Farmer & Jurijs mi JS

Thanks for the advice and link, what a useful resource! My head is buzzing with so Much to take in. Slow and steady I think !

That's very likely, if plants don't get enough CO2 correlated with light, nutrients etc. (or available carbon in other forms which will finally end up as CO2 anyway) they can outgass N in ammonia form (NH3) and that's what BBA and your staghorns are munching on. And that's why staghorns appear on the edges of the leaves first.

Best way I ever heard that explained on here @Witcher

Sounds interesting - got any links?
My initial search is just pulling up papers on ammonia stress (ie high levels) in wetland/submersed plants

Hey @alto try to search with keywords like photorespiration/co2/nh3/aquatic plants etc (however results for aquatic/amphibious plants are rather scarce or behind paywall)

Back