• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New member from glasgow! (with first aquarium)

Dirkjan

Seedling
Hey Everyone,
I'm new to the entire aquarium business, but I have learned a lot from this forum!
I'm trying to create a low tech, dirted tank. I have included some pictures of my tank how i've set it up as of today!

Getting to this point was quite the experience so far!
I bought the aquarium (80 liters) second hand from gumtree. Unfortunately, when I got home and tried to clean it, it turned out it wasn't completely watertight, there was a tiny crack on the bottom of one of the side panels. Because I was a bit pissed when that happened, I didn't take much care when moving the aquarium after that, which meant that the tiny crack turned into a huge crack. I decided to take the entire aquarium apart and put it back together, with the crack on the top so it wouldn't leak. Unfortunately, after going through all the trouble of taking the tank apart,and putting it back together, it turned out that the kit I had used was white. And looked horrible. So once again took everything apart, and redid the aquarium with see through silicone kit, which looked a lot better.
I'm very happy with how it turned out!

I went for quite a variety of plants to see how they will do in my tank (and got some for free with my order, so just popped them in as well :p )

Foreground:
Eleocharis Parvula, montenegro
Middle: Rotala green, Alternanthera Reineckii mini, hygrophila araguaya, hygrophila pinnatifida,
background:valisneria spiralis, ludwigia palustris, echinodorus ozelot leopard, hygrophila pantanal and bacopa amplexicaulis caroliniana.

Cycling the tank now, hope to get some tetra's in after christmas, and some shrimp in the new year.

Only thing I don't like so far is the fact that the tapwater in Scotland is very soft, with a KH and GH of basically zero. This also means that the PH of my aquarium is quite low (high 5, low 6). Any advice about this would be highly appreciated!

As I said, I just started out, so any advice/tips are of course highly appreciated!
20171126_115959.jpg 20171202_122853.jpg 20171206_182022.jpg 20171206_182121.jpg

Welcome,plenty of help for you look for the tutorials and journals and advice on very soft water

Back