• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New member from devon

Samjpikey

Hi everybody ,

I'm new to the forum but not to the hobby :):)

I currently haves 100cmx30x40 low light tank but have all the high tech gear .
I am planning on starting fresh and doing a Complete rescape/ substrate etc etc , for something a bit more challenging .
I've posted in the substrate forum if someone could reply :) cheers

Hey guys

As i say I am planning a total re-scape/substrate etc etc and gutting my whole tank and starting fresh,
I need to know what everybody is using as their substrate ,
The more I have been looking into it the more choices there are , currently I use miracle grow (organic) capped with black sand,
at the moment i have been running on a low tech(2 years so out with the old and in with the new) on a 100cmx30x40
1x gieseman t5ho 24watt (Hagen glo)
Sera co2 reactor 500 on 0.5 bps (pressurised with 2stage reg +sol)
Very low doesage of dry ferts
no algae blooms etc etc since day one but I want to do something more creative and a little more work, so I have upgraded my light and built my own led fixture , works a treat and tested it out and my plants pearled within seconds (they never attempted it once with just 1 t5ho)
Also Going to use the 4 in 1 atomiser, so if anybody is interested in buying the sera , let me know :)

The only thing holding me back is the substrate, I want to get it right .
I am not sure what to use , I don't mind forking out for Ada but is it beneficial and or worth the extra cost to say what I have done already ??
I don't want to use sand again , it's too fine and compact. I can get hold of the black diamond blasting grit as a cap.
I read good and bad things about Ada /flora base/Eco-c/fluorite
I've looked at akadama and say cat litter but I again have read good and bad things,
Then there is soil/dirt capped ,
I am a bit torn apart so anybody out here can shed some light it will be highly appreciated :):):)
Thanks in advance

Back